Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeetings everyone!

Didn't know where else to ask so here it goes...I'll be moving to UK soon and I can't decide if I should bring my pet iguana with me or not. I don't know how hard it is to aquire all the neccessary paperwork, will he have to be in the quarantine, is there a risk of him dying?
I'm also worried if he'd be able to adjust to new climate easily since its quite a big difference between England weather and mediteranean.

If anyone here has any experience...any information would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
255 Posts
I dont know about the legal side but the most important thing would be to make sure its got a viv to go into once hes here. Im not sure about the plane but im sure someobe else will be along to help you

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
It would be much easier if you could drive then no paperwork is needed i think if you are travelling inside Europe. It would only need paperwork if endangered if travelling by car.

Many people transport animals from german shows to England with no problems at all but I imagine an airline would want all sorts of paperwork.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think it would help enourmously in answering the question if we knew.

1 What country are you moving him from ?
2 How are you transporting him (air, car, boat ?)

EDIT Just noticed the original thread title !! Ok so by plane, that could be a problem. Its more difficult to find a airline that will allow you to bring the Iguana with you.

I don't understand the concern about the climate since its obvious that in the Uk you would need to keep indoors with heating /UV lighting etc ? Even in very mild parts of the med you would need to keep him indoors for alot of the year ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True that about UV light, however he is outdoors 3 months a year since its very hot and sunny here in Croatia, and he's been like that every summer ever since I got him. People here (some biologists) been telling me I'll shorten his lifespan if I take that away from him (???).
I don't really care about the amount of paperwork it would require, I'm more interested in his safety and what's the best for him...but on the other hand I don't want to leave him with my parents cause I don't trust them (They caused some irreversible damage while taking care of him for a few years).

I just want to take him with me and give him a long, happy life :(

·
Registered
556 Posts
Personally although it will a b*tch I would drive it will take a good 2 days though atleast! And although you don't think of it would probably be cheaper than doing it by an aeroplane.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
True that about UV light, however he is outdoors 3 months a year since its very hot and sunny here in Croatia, and he's been like that every summer ever since I got him. People here (some biologists) been telling me I'll shorten his lifespan if I take that away from him (???).
I don't really care about the amount of paperwork it would require, I'm more interested in his safety and what's the best for him...but on the other hand I don't want to leave him with my parents cause I don't trust them (They caused some irreversible damage while taking care of him for a few years).

I just want to take him with me and give him a long, happy life :(
I am fairly sure that all Iguana species are CITIES listed. Croatia is not in the EU yet are they (not sure) ??? This makes a difference. You need to double check this, but if Croatia isn't yet an European Union country you will probably need CITIES papers to fly him in. But you don't need papers if you are simply moving him around the EU member countries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Croatia joined EU on 1st July :2thumb: so now I can finally move to UK to live with my husband without the insane amount of paperwork...guess the same goes for my iguana.
Would go with Lufthansa since I heard they are the best when it comes to transporting animals (not just cats and dogs) however its a 2 hour flight to Heathrow and then another 4 to 5 hours to Castleford (near Leeds) and I'm not sure if my darling iguana would be okay with that :(
If I had a driving licence and a car I'd drive him, no doubt about it, but it isn't an option :( And having my husband drive from UK to Croatia and then back again...well airplane is a cheaper solution then :p

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Forgive me for my ignorance re Croatia and EU membership.

Personally as somebody who transports reptiles across Europe frequently, unless you do something really daft, I see no reason why he shouldn't be perfectly fine. Obviously he will not need food or water for the journey, and as long as suitable accomodation is available at the other end, I can't think of a problem. Yes he will take a few days to settle in the new home. Keep him at warm room temps, and in the dark for the journey, and he should be fine.

I you shouldn't need any paperwork as far as I am aware.

EDIT Reptiles are much tougher than most people think. Also I would avoid feeding him the day before the jounrney. Better to travel on an empty stomach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.