Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a student and been thinking of getting a corn snake for quite some time now. I did quite a lot of research and think I'm ready to give one a forever home. I do however have a question:

Since I am a student, during the longer holidays, such as Christmas and summer holidays I travel home. I do however live outside of the UK so I have to take the plane or car. I would be able to find someone to care for my snake in case I can't take it with me over holidays. However, I will finish studying at one point, and might move back to my home country. So my question is, is it possible to take corn snakes on the plane/or car and leave the country? Has anyone made the experience, cost, specific tanks you need?
I searched but could not find specifications/regulations about taking a snake and making it leave the UK to take it back to my home country.
As I said, if it's too stressful for the snake to do, then I would only have to move it once I finish studying and take it back home with me to Europe.
Anyone made the experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
You can't take a snake on a plane as hand luggage, it would have to go as cargo. Due to Brexit paperwork would be required to permit movement, which also requires vet certificates.... If you browse / search the forum there are plenty of discussion pre and post brexit regarding moving reptiles between the UK and EU (mainly in relation to the EU shows).

It would be less stressful for the snake, less risk of loss of the snake, less expensive and more convenient simply to have someone look after the snake in the UK whilst studying

·
Registered
755 Posts
You probably aren't going to like this - but l'd wait to get a snake when you finish your studies ( speaking from experience, l waited for 10 years before the time was right to get mine ).

Firstly, does your landlord allow you to have an animal ( halls of residence certainly don't ). Secondly, will you have someone you can 100% rely on, and who is knowledgable enough to look after the snake over all holidays? Thirdly, as a student, will you have enough finances to not just look after the snake, but to take it to the vets if something goes wrong?

Even if you can answer "yes" to all of the above, you might find that it's quite difficult ( and expensive ) to then take the snake abroad, and might end up heartbroken, having to find a home for it here.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Interesting that the OP hasn't came back with any further replies...seems to be a trend these days...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interesting that the OP hasn't came back with any further replies...seems to be a trend these days...
Yeah when they don't like what they hear they go elsewhere to find someone else who will give them the answer they want.its usually someone who knows as little about the subject as them but likes to pretend they do know. It would surprise you how many people on the internet give out advice on subjects they know nothing about .

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Yeah when they don't like what they hear they go elsewhere to find someone else who will give them the answer they want.its usually someone who knows as little about the subject as them but likes to pretend they do know. It would surprise you how many people on the internet give out advice on subjects they know nothing about .
I have my suspicions.. it's strange how the forum suddenly gets an influx of first time posters who only post once within days of the relaunch of the forum a month or two back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts