Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly i want to say that none of my reps are impacted.
How do you treat impaction, i know you can bath them in warm water, but if a lizard had a bad case and wasnt pooing and only eating little bits how is it treated? can it only be done by a vet or are there any other ways?
As i said at the beginning NONE of mine are impacted, its just a question i dont know the answer to so thought i'd ask.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i only know of the bath and massage thing, other than that its going to be the vets i think!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Dripping a little mineral oil onto their noses so they can lick it off is meant to help lubricate things up a bit to get them moving, but I have never put it into practice.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Its a good question actually and TBH i'm not really sure.... Basically I guess you have to get the bowls moving a fair bit so extra veg', message, warm baths that type of thing I guess would do it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have always found that a few ml of liquid parafin syringed gently into the mouth helps to move things along swiftly, even in the most clogged up leopard geckos brought to us. We decided to try it after treating a horse with colic due to an impaction with liquid parafin, and the results have always been good so far. We even managed to un-clog a 2 inch long baby leo that had swallowed a lump of 'Desert Blend'.

Its still important to bathe the animal in warm water anyway, preferably with an electrolyte solution in it, as many patients die from dehydration as a side effect of the impaction and bathing will help the animal to take on water again even if it doesnt feel like drinking.

Hope this was useful!

Hannah

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i think i'd be too afraid to put liquid parafin in an animals mouth. I wont do anything myself to them that i wouldnt put myself through and drinking liquid parafin is a nono :p definately a vets job if thats what u have to do! I'd end up using too much knowing my luck :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts