Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my snake still wont eat hes a BCC. so i tried force feeding still wont take it.

any one know any good places in Glasgow to go ad see about having him looked at?

cheers

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Short of a regurge the animal should have taken the item because you've forced the animal to eat. If you personally can't physiologically make the snake eat then I'd probably reframe from trying yourself - it'll be causing more stress than anything. <- Not making you sound like a div. I realise that statement might seem a bit direct, but I can't really put the point across in any other way.

A non feeding Boa is quite odd really. Can you tell us a bit more about its setup and living conditions?

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Just read your other thread. The Boa is apparently a new born. Stop force feeding it. It's very common for new borns to go without a strike feed.
If you have no luck getting anyone local (I'll ring a couple mates in the west and ask for you) then consider bringing it over to Edinburgh and I'll get it going for you. I may plan a wee trip this or next weekend to Glasgow anyway so I might be able to help.

Also, you've probably got a Common Boa (BCI), perhaps showing a redish tint. If you had bought a true Redtail (BCC) you'd have got it from some sort of dedicated breeder who wouldn't have given you a £200.00 or more Boa let alone a non-feeding baby. I've got normals with very bright red tails but they are only BCI.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
What irresponsible breeder sold you a day old snake!!! :bash: (Just read other post).

Most hatchlings won't eat until they have their first shed, leave the poor thing along, wait till it sheds and THEN offer a prey item.

An inexperienced keeper should not be force feeding as you can cause a lot of damage and stress to a snake. If it hasn't eaten within a few weeks you could try a pre killed mouse or a assist feeding but not force!

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
As said young snakes often take a bit of time to get going and there are literally loads of techniques to help and even more combos. Physical forcing the item into the animal is highly risky to any snake let alone a young one. I have a fair bit of experience with non-feeders but have never had to force feed anything and everything become a good feeder.

As for the guy letting babies go that early, what a retard :bash:.

For now I would just keep an eye on it as it has just endured a huge trauma that may well slow progress down. if all seems OK try braining a warm pink and placing the snake in with it in a tight spaced box. Leave over night any you may be surprised :).

You should find the help you need here and im sure you can get it feeding without force feeding. if you want other methods PM me as I know of a fair few as do many one here :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts