Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple of weeks ago we bought a pair of trinket snakes...lovely and very tame....such a lovely colouring to them.
i have one concern tho...we were told that the bigger one was the male the smaller the female...but having read loads of stuff on them on the internet i find that it could be the wrong way around!!!
can anyone help me on this please...i feel terrible calling them the wrong sex :oops: it would also mean i can go back to shop we got them in and put them right (love to be able to do this!!!!)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
how old are they? most species have a bigger female as adults.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they r aprrox 18 mths old....and i forget the females r bigger!!!

they wont be old enough to breed yet tho will they? we didnt get them to make money just cuz we liked them and didnt want to split them up they have been together for so long :D

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i dont know a great deal about them, but i would they will be alittle too young yeh.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've got a trinket,got him hoping that it was a girl but at 2yrs old he is only 30" and on half grown mice so he a boy. Your female should reach the size of an adult corn but will be much more slender.They are a great snake to own and it would be great if you could breed them as not a lot of people do it with these guys.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why thank u spit...we r hoping to breed just see what happens.
i just love them for their colour and they seem such nice friendly snakes to. it that so with urs? ive heard some say that they have a funny temperment but not noticed it yet with ours and they have both been through or going through the shedding process.
would be nice to see if we can have some babies but it wont be for a while! :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
As babies they very nippy but all it took wi mine was a couple of weeks regular handling and he soft as muck now you could do anything wi him and he not bothered. I'm running out of room and was thinking of finding him a new home but he so friendly i couldn't part wi him. Hope to get him a partner at some point but will have to see how the space side of things goes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ours r ok so far,they were well looked after at the shop..must have been handled a fair bit thankfully!! :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont know.....i havent got a tape measure to them yet..will have to soon!!! they r the only two i havent done yet all the others i did when i got them!!! poor things lol :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i will dont worry!!!! bound to be some more questions i will ask about then when they get nearer the breeding age :D

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Mr.Bob said:
they r aprrox 18 mths old
they wont be old enough to breed yet tho will they?
didnt want to split them up they have been together for so long
If the're 18 months old and kept together then they will probably breed next year. You should seperate them until you're ready to breed them but, more importantly, until the female's big enough as you don't want to get her egg-bound.
Graham.

·
Registered
399 Posts
She should be adult size and at least 2 yrs old before you breed so about 4.5-5ft and slightly more slender than a corn snake.Thats why i wanted a female so i could grow her on before i got the male but sadly it didn't happen that way.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats good then cuz they r both nearly two...not so long to wait and they both in real good condition so heres hoping sometime next year!!! :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Females usually top out at 3-3.5ft and will be ready to breed from at 3ft or over. It's wise to wait until they are two years old to be sure they are mature enough to cope with laying eggs. Males are always smaller and Coelognathus helena always demonstrate a marked sexual dimorphism in regards length and girth. The record length for this species is 5ft, its most exceptional though. Largest female I've ever seen has been around 3.5ft to date.
Bob this species is being increasingly bred in the UK, in no small part due to its prolific nature which is comparable to C. radiatus. :wink: You can expect 3-4 successful clutches (with 3-12 eggs per clutch, usually 6 for mature females) with a sensible feeding regimen and frequent introductions throughout the year. Being a Tropical species no cycling is required. 7 clutches from one female have been recorded in this species!
A lot of the information on the net and in books suggest they require the same humidity requirement s as their close cousins the Radiated's, I haven't found this to be the case.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
There were quite a few cb babies around this way this year...

The size also depends very much on feeding. If one has missed a few feeds for whatever reason, that may well make a differance.

I have a breeding pair and they are almost identical in shape and length - must be only a couple of cm in it.

They are both about 3 1/2 ft long, and as far as I know, about 4 years old.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry to but in on ur thread Mr Bob but was wondering what size mice either Ally or Devboy have urs on,have been unable to find info on this.I have an 18mth old male who is on half growns just now and was wondering will he be on them forever or will he move on to adults,the past couple of months he has started bulking out tho.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts