Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our male poss het pied has just had a really rough shed ........retained the tail half for 2 days then that has come off in bits everywhere(not such a big thing) but my concern is that the day after he finished shedding (13th) i noticed a redness on his belly and tail (only where the retained shed was) so have been keeping an eye on this and it to me resembles a burn (got 13 snakes on that rack he's bang in the middle they all fine) so was thinkin its summit to do with his shedding..........on checking this afternoon its looking worse not as red but almost as if there is some form of puss under the scales .....................so its off to the vets in the mornin

Anyone got any ideas what this could be ?? or what I could have done wrong ? (short of not having his humidity a bit higher for shed)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bumping up for you:2thumb:

Hope you get some help, if not good luck at the vets tomorrow.

Reactions: s3xy_sheep

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumping up for you:2thumb:

Hope you get some help, if not good luck at the vets tomorrow.

thanks ....... he's not agitated or anythin so dont think its anythn painful but it is quite a large area not taking the chance seeing if it clears
he's going in tomorrow mornin

if I could find my blutooth adapter i'd get a pic up

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm not hugely experience so I will keep my mouth shut, however I will wish you the best of luck and please keep us on RFUK updated : victory:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
"rot" makes it sound like a long term thing.......... it was fine b4 shedding

dunno if that matters ...... how bad is that on a scale of 1-10
Don't panic untill you have seen the vet.
How anyone can guess without seeing the snake or pics astounds me.
One other thing, humidity needs to be correct all the time ,not just higher for shedding.I don't higher humidity on any of my snakes and have no shedding problems:2thumb:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
"rot" makes it sound like a long term thing.......... it was fine b4 shedding

dunno if that matters ...... how bad is that on a scale of 1-10
it takes a little while to start, but it does jsut crop up. incredibly easy to treat, use a mix of savlon cream, manuka honey and iodine until the snake next sheds and it will be fine. pics would help though. all the vet will do it give you batryl, which is stupid as it should be reserved for the most severe cases as there are no resistant bacteria strains to batryl, if you can, ask for an alternative.
FBF

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not hugely experience so I will keep my mouth shut, however I will wish you the best of luck and please keep us on RFUK updated : victory:
What he said ^^ :2thumb:

Reactions: Koitoi

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't panic untill you have seen the vet.
How anyone can guess without seeing the snake or pics astounds me.
One other thing, humidity needs to be correct all the time ,not just higher for shedding.I don't higher humidity on any of my snakes and have no shedding problems:2thumb:
Been keepin royals for 3 years an this is the 1st time ive come accross bad shed like this .......when i say up humidity its normally 60% and up to 72% in some (do give them a quick mist when going blue)just to make it easy

hard not to panic ......i loves my royals

it takes a little while to start, but it does jsut crop up. incredibly easy to treat, use a mix of savlon cream, manuka honey and iodine until the snake next sheds and it will be fine. pics would help though. all the vet will do it give you batryl, which is stupid as it should be reserved for the most severe cases as there are no resistant bacteria strains to batryl, if you can, ask for an alternative.
FBF
thats the route i was thinkin of on the f10 line of things ...... weak solution to clense then the cream to act as barrier but not gonna do nothin till seen the vet .........

I'll take a look for this adapter again now if not anyone wanna put pics up for me if i send via text to them

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't mind putting pictures up for you, 07919496991, I trust nobody will prank call me :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Sound's like the on set of belly rot if it has puss. I'm not an expert by any mean's but from what I've heard puss is a sure sign.

Regards
James Banford

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
we have used savalon cream in the past. It worked great. Used it for a week, and it did the trick. Just rub it in pretty well.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pics sent should be up soon ...hope its nothing too bad :bash::bash::bash:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Our male poss het pied has just had a really rough shed ........retained the tail half for 2 days then that has come off in bits everywhere(not such a big thing) but my concern is that the day after he finished shedding (13th) i noticed a redness on his belly and tail (only where the retained shed was) so have been keeping an eye on this and it to me resembles a burn (got 13 snakes on that rack he's bang in the middle they all fine) so was thinkin its summit to do with his shedding..........on checking this afternoon its looking worse not as red but almost as if there is some form of puss under the scales .....................so its off to the vets in the mornin

Anyone got any ideas what this could be ?? or what I could have done wrong ? (short of not having his humidity a bit higher for shed)
here is a picture of potential belly rot

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ooh no, that doesnt look like rot, more like an internal bacterial infection of the scales :2thumb:
FBF
a vet must ;)

that doesnt sound good :devil:

Hope its nothin too serious will keep you all posted on what our vet says lucky we got a reptile vet only 3 miles away on opens at 9am have got a 24hour number for them but the callout for out of hours is horriffic

1 - 20 of 47 Posts