Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i was thinking about getting some tropical fish, thing is i know nothing about how to keep them and what i will need.. so if anybody can help me, give me some information on what the best fish to keep are and what i will need that will be greatly appreciated thankyou! :)

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
1. Get the biggest tank you can afford in time/money/space.

2. Get a filter and heater slightly over rated for the tank size.

3. Read up about fishless cycling. Do that, then start adding fish SLOWLY.

4. Everything in fish keeping should be done slowly.

5. Perform weekly 20% water changes, more or less if necessary.

6. Spend hours per day watching your fish 'cos they're so cool :D

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
the month cycle before the fish go in is the most important part, dont forget that depending on which fish you decide to get the require different things.
for example my Malawi cichlids, Mbuna are rock dwelling so have loads of caves/rocks etc, and there hard water fish, liking the PH about 8-8.5, using limestone rocks, coral and shells etc to keep the PH up works well.

if you want something like lets say angel fish, there soft water so you'd use bog wood to colour the water and a PH down to correct the balance of acidity.
just depends where u are, what you want/like, how much money you got and how much space you got: victory:

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
the month cycle before the fish go in is the most important part, dont forget that
ARGH! NO NO NO!

Sorry but NO. "3-week cycle", "one-month cycle", "5-day cycle", "6-week cycle" they're all rubbish!

You cycle properly and when it is DONE it is DONE, not before, not after.

When your nitrite comes back down to 0 you're done, whether that's 5 days, 1 week, 6 weeks, or 2 years. However long it takes.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
ARGH! NO NO NO!

Sorry but NO. "3-week cycle", "one-month cycle", "5-day cycle", "6-week cycle" they're all rubbish!

You cycle properly and when it is DONE it is DONE, not before, not after.

When your nitrite comes back down to 0 you're done, whether that's 5 days, 1 week, 6 weeks, or 2 years. However long it takes.
that's a fair point fella: victory:

ok usually they say about a month just because of the bacteria and stuff growing on the sponge, mine went in on day one, used my mates water chage water from a massive tank and a filter he ran for 4 weeks for me:)
made life so much easier lol..

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
that's a fair point fella: victory:

ok usually they say about a month just because of the bacteria and stuff growing on the sponge, mine went in on day one, used my mates water chage water from a massive tank and a filter he ran for 4 weeks for me:)
made life so much easier lol..
Sorry... just one of my pet hates :blush: But yes of course old tank water and particularly (or mostly/entirely) filter media will speed the cycling up.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Have to say..I love step 6 :2thumb:

6. Spend hours per day watching your fish 'cos they're so cool :D

Haven't anything useful to add, Ash has pretty much covered it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts