Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

am just wondering if bog standard woodlice would do the same clean up job ???? or is this a big NO No ?????

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I believe they will, think the only real difference is size. Your standard grey woodlice are more likely to be eaten as they're so much bigger. Tropical woodlice are tiny things. But I guess it depends what you're putting them in with. Be very wary of wild caught ones though as you don't know what they might be carrying. Springtails are also good cleaners.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Ive always had normal woodlice (bought online, in sterile environments) from Dartfrog - Everything for the Amphibian Keeper and never had any trouble with them, they were for an Emp tank and she never ate any of them (not that i counted them so i couldnt be sure :lol2:).

But as said, getting any from the garden is a BIG NO as they may be carrying mites or diseases that could kill of your scorp/ T. : victory:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
yep. they require a lowwer temp than tropical but do the same. i used to have them with my goliath, they did wodners

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I use woodlice of all sorts in my terrariums.

UK woodlice tend to work just as well. Pest introduction is a concern, but you have to remember that UK pests are normally at least a little bit selective in their host choice, so a Vietnamese or African or whatever invert is at less risk than a UK natural.

You should be fine using UK woodlice - anything like mites etc are obvious, and most nematodes are quite host selective so probably wont jump to your tropical inverts.

If in doubt, buy those sterile ones mentioned previously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts