Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a honduran milk last tues,and it has so far not eaten.tried feeding it twice without success.i just wondered how long should i leave a defrosted pinkie in the tank before throwing it.also if anyone has had a similar problem with one of these snakes ,can you give me any advice,thanks

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
is it a hatchling? sometimes a pinkie can be too big for it and you will need to slice it down the middle, and is the pinkie warmed up as i find having the prey warmed up helps to get a feeding response

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to be honest i didnt ask how old it is.it is about 18 inches long so that is all i have to go on.again how long is it safe to leave a thawed out pinkie before throwing it?ps the pinkies are only the same width of the snake so size is not the problem,it just does not seem interested in them.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
if youve had it less than a week i would try leaving it alone for a while before trying to feed again give it chance to settle in.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I agree - leave him to settle in for a while longer then when you feed him, put the pinkie under a hide. I leave pinkies in overnight but no longer.

Have you got him in a viv or a tub setup?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
:lol: brainings fine .... basically just squash the pink with a knife, some juices come out and the snake will smell the juices!!!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
when i first started i was worried the pink was too big!!! so i used to break every bone in its body and its skull to make sure the snake could get it down!!!! :lol: now with pinks i just squash the head to make the scent!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
braining did not work,any other suggestions?

thanks for replies,tried above no use,anyone got any more suggestions?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
as everyone said u should hav left it to settle a while longer...do u hav any pics so we can get some ideas on size etc..?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
If it was me, like others have said - I'd just leave it totally alone where it currently is for a week, then try again. It's all new for the poor snake and is stressed out already. It won't starve to wait a week :wink:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If it's in a fairly quiet place now then I wouldn't move it. You could cover the front of the enclosure with something, eg. a towel or sheet, to give it some added privacy.

Is it in a viv or a tub/plastic box?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Just an added thought - I don't know anything about this type of snake but I know BPs like security and privacy - when I got my BP I was advised to pack loosely screwed up balls of paper in the viv to give the impression of less open space and more privacy. Then as the snake gets used to its new home gradually start taking them out.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
When the hatchlings don't eat we warm them up slightly for a while before feeding. If they are in tubs we just move more of the tub onto the heat mat. Hiding the pinky usually helps, i roll a sheet of kitchen towel to form a tube with the pinky inside the tube and turn all the lights out. Never handle the snake for 24 hours before feeding.

hope thats some help.

Della

1 - 20 of 24 Posts