Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Russian for around 3 weeks now, and recently he's been getting bubbles (almost like foam) around his eyes, and he rubs his eyes quite a bit, but then it'll disappear. This usually happens when he wakes up or when he eats. His eyes also look quite swollen when the bubbles appear but then he blinks and they go back to normal. I've read that it might be he's too dry, but i've been bathing him every day for about 10 minutes and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I thought it might be an eye infection but wouldn't an eye infection be a constant thing? This comes and goes and doesn't last very long.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
I've had my Russian for around 3 weeks now, and recently he's been getting bubbles (almost like foam) around his eyes, and he rubs his eyes quite a bit, but then it'll disappear. This usually happens when he wakes up or when he eats. His eyes also look quite swollen when the bubbles appear but then he blinks and they go back to normal. I've read that it might be he's too dry, but i've been bathing him every day for about 10 minutes and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I thought it might be an eye infection but wouldn't an eye infection be a constant thing? This comes and goes and doesn't last very long.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
You really need to get this tortoise to a tortoise vet, as it could be anything:0(
Where did you buy this tortoise?
How is he/she being kept?
What substrate?
What temps
Sorry but other than a visit to a vet, we need more info to be able to help.
Sometimes its husbandry, and sometimes its where you got your tortoise from that causes the problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to take him to the vet on Saturday, just wondered if anyone on here had the same problem.

I bought him from a breeder who I know and trust, he hadn't been mistreated or anything so I know he's come from a good place and should be healthy.

I'm keeping him in a tortoise table, substrate is a soil and sand mixed together (already mixed, bought from a reptile shop, says on the packaging that it's especially for tortoises) and one side of the table i've put a layer of wood chip on top of the soil.
Temps around 32-36°C, I turn his light on at 8 in the morning and off at 6:30/7pm.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'm going to take him to the vet on Saturday, just wondered if anyone on here had the same problem.

I bought him from a breeder who I know and trust, he hadn't been mistreated or anything so I know he's come from a good place and should be healthy.

I'm keeping him in a tortoise table, substrate is a soil and sand mixed together (already mixed, bought from a reptile shop, says on the packaging that it's especially for tortoises) and one side of the table i've put a layer of wood chip on top of the soil.
Temps around 32-36°C, I turn his light on at 8 in the morning and off at 6:30/7pm.
Sand is not suitable, even mixed with soil. Normal topsoil is far better. This is how I keep them www.tortsmad.com/Russians.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts