Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im with you lot - i believe i have 2 males

Been to the reptile vets today and she examined them and believes i have 2 females - unfortunatly she did not have any probe tools at that practice but asked me go back next week and she can have a bash

How accurate is probing with ackies?
I had 2 snakes probed years ago and turned out to be not what i was told

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so spoke to quite alot of experienced keepers and all saying not to get them probed - so im not - dont wanna damage the buggers

Im still unsure of the sex of these - im getting both sex results:devil::devil::bash:

Anyone local to me that is experienced and can sex them if i pop down to them? - cheeky me

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
i know mate have you felt the clusters to see if there quite stiff if so that could be a male and a females will be alot softer
i really wouldnt get them probed though its not good for monitors especially young or small ones
im hopeing theyll turn out to be male and female for you it might be that theyre to small to tell for definate but it looks that at least you have one male, pic 2 is just hard to tell it has small clusters but not as clear as pic one females can still have small clusters but theyre not as spikey

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Provided you know how and are gentle, it is quite easy to evert the hemipenes of ackies. Males will have a definate 'structure' to them whereas the females will be more like a 'pore' if that makes sense.

If unsure, see if you can find someone in your area who will do it for you.

EDIT: Looking at the second lot of pics, I would hazard that you have a pair but wouldn't say 100%

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
I think that the 2nd if a fem - but it is hard to see in a pic - there does seem to be a difference between the spine clusters around the cloacca. I am also even more sure that the first it a male

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is hard to tell from the pics but it looks like two males at the moment. Im not too far (Stockpoet area) from bolton, you are more than welcome to come round with them and i could give it a better go seeing them in the flesh.

PM me if you want and we can try and sort somthing out.

Rick

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OKIS DOKE UPDATE:

First off thanks to Rick for offering take a look,

I took him up on this and he believes i have 2 females.

So i guess the hunt was on for a male?

I went viper and vine and they had some 07 ackies in - so i asked what sex he had in the shop and he had 2 males and a female

Matt looked at mine and also agreed i had 2 females

So iv come home with a male from viper and vine - hes now in quarentine for a while and put a bit of weight on him.

Hes 15 inches long - but slender

Again thanks to Rick:2thumb::2thumb:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.