Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so i got a leopard gecko a few weeks ago and have had a number of issues with setup/food/supplements.. etc, but i've been getting hand of things now and it's all coming together, the only issues i have now is the heating funny enough. I'm from Northern Ireland, craigavon, and the only pet shop near me with reptile care paraphernalia is about 4 -5 miles away, and even at that it's limited... but i've tried to make do with what i could. At first i bought the viv which is wooden and came with a built in heat bulb, it kept temperatures well except for at night times when the light was off the temps dropped far too low. so i bought a heat mat and put that to the side of the wall for at night time, however it isn't very strong at all and didn't reach the desired temps at night, and when the bulb is on the temps were getting too hot lol.

So i was in a pickle and didn't have the tools at hand, i was able to get a timer plug however but i couldn't find a thermostat. I measured how long it took the viv to reach the right temp and how long it took to cool down too much, did some calculations and then put them into hours of the day with the timer plug so that i could try to keep it at the right temperature (i guess what i mean is i did a timer version of a thermostat lol) and at night time the bulb only needs to go on once at 2am untill 3.30am for it to be as safe as possible without disturbing sleeping patterns too much...

Well atleast that's what i'm asking anyway lol, is this a bad idea? he seems fine, still eats well and is still active but will it cause any problems later down then line? I just want to make sure it's safe.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Someone no doubt will advise you better, as I do not know enough about heat lamps. i know they can be used. But alot of Leopard gecko owners use just heatmats I would think.

That's why hopefully someone will come and give u a better answer than me.
We use a heatmat in the bottom of our wooden viv (as leo's like to absorb the heat through their bellies) We have this attached to a matstat, to avoid any overheating issues.
Also use a cheap digital thermometer, which you can buy from ebay (aquatic one which works just the same as a reptile one, just loads cheaper!)
We use a 15 watt pygmy bulb, clear in the day & red of an evening. But we turn this off at night. It's mainly so we can view them, not for heating the viv or anything.

I hope soon someone can give you some useful advice ;) Goodluck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone no doubt will advise you better, as I do not know enough about heat lamps. i know they can be used. But alot of Leopard gecko owners use just heatmats I would think.

That's why hopefully someone will come and give u a better answer than me.
We use a heatmat in the bottom of our wooden viv (as leo's like to absorb the heat through their bellies) We have this attached to a matstat, to avoid any overheating issues.
Also use a cheap digital thermometer, which you can buy from ebay (aquatic one which works just the same as a reptile one, just loads cheaper!)
We use a 15 watt pygmy bulb, clear in the day & red of an evening. But we turn this off at night. It's mainly so we can view them, not for heating the viv or anything.

I hope soon someone can give you some useful advice ;) Goodluck

I would still preffer to use the proper paraphernalia but the shop i go to doesn't have them... could you recommend any trustworthy website's to buy from?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Ebay will sell everything you need :2thumb:

Just stick to well known brands if you are worried:- Exo Terra, Habistat, Microclimate etc and look at the feedback of sellers to ensure they are reliable. Most will do combined postage if you request it too : victory:

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
I can recommend 888 Reptiles - good service and good prices. It would be better if you could put the heatmat on the floor not on the wall and connect it to a mat stat. Then you won't need to use the timer plug or the bulb at all :)

What you are doing at the moment is fine as a temporary measure. Also, you need to check the temps at the floor level, not the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
If you get a heat matt please dont get exo-terra ones... exoterra are great for a lot of things but their heat mats are bad for not getting to good temps... then catching fire.

Go for five-star/lucky reptile.. something like that instead. Maybe try a higher wattage heat mat as well?

Oh and for all your reptile needs either rainforest reptile supplies or ebay are my favourite sites for gear ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts