Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m trying to work out the genetics (not my strongest subject) on a Corn pairing from earlier in the year.
Dad was the result of a clutch of eggs passed to me from a pet shop. His parents are unknown but he is a normal with a tendency towards Okeetee. His siblings were either the same as him or Amel, (reverse Okeetee). From the results of previously breeding him to several amel females and a candy cane female, I do know he is het for amel.
Mum is a green blotch snow with no known hets brought at the ERAC show 3 years ago.
Knowing that snow is a mix of Anery and Amel and that dad was het for Amel, I was hoping for some snow babies along with some amels and normals but I got
1 Normal
4 Amels
4Anerys
I’m now confused (nothing new there). I’m assuming dad must be het for Anery as well as Amel, I guess making him het for snow (?) But he hasn’t produced any snows from any of his previous matings or this one. So I guess the question is either where are the snow hatchlings or if he’s not het for Snow or Anery, where did the 4 Anery’s come from?
Or have I got it all wrong?
Just for the record, mum has only been with this male.
Natrix

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
He is definitely het for Amel AND Anery if he produced Amel and Anery offspring.

However, there is only a 1 in 4 chance per egg that a normal het anery/amel X snow will produce snow offspring. Not per clutch - per egg. Your clutch size was not amazingly large if there were only nine of them, either.

You just didn't hit the odds this time (you never flipped double tails on the coins).

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is definitely het for Amel AND Anery if he produced Amel and Anery offspring.

However, there is only a 1 in 4 chance per egg that a normal het anery/amel X snow will produce snow offspring. Not per clutch - per egg. Your clutch size was not amazingly large if there were only nine of them, either.

You just didn't hit the odds this time (you never flipped double tails on the coins).
Thanks Ssthisto.
I thought I was in with a chance of a snow when the first Anery hatched. I guess I just didn't get lucky this time.
This same female has produced a small second clutch of three eggs so I guess I might still get my snow if I get lucky.

Natrix

1 - 4 of 4 Posts