Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 tortoises havent been eating now for a while, i posted about it before and I tried everything to try and get them to eat and they just wont so I took them to the vets for there opinion and he gave them an injection and said if this doesnt work come back and they will be tube fed - Is this ok for them and will how long do they usually do this for. :(

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
You need to remind us of what's going on here, as there are so many queries on this forum. We will try and help but need to know what the vet said. Was this a vitamin injection? If you would like to send me a message, I can suggest to you some things re anorexia.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rehomed 2 Spur Thigh about 6 weeks ago that had been kept in poor conditions, fed on strawberries,apple, banana ect.. So I started feeding him a varied weed diet like my other tortoises with a small amount of what they fed him to encourage him to eat and they ate for a couple of days and then stopped. And wont eat now at all, I've tried everything including things like lettuce and banana to see if it even temps them but it wont. The vet said it was an injection to stimulate them to eat?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I rehomed 2 Spur Thigh about 6 weeks ago that had been kept in poor conditions, fed on strawberries,apple, banana ect.. So I started feeding him a varied weed diet like my other tortoises with a small amount of what they fed him to encourage him to eat and they ate for a couple of days and then stopped. And wont eat now at all, I've tried everything including things like lettuce and banana to see if it even temps them but it wont. The vet said it was an injection to stimulate them to eat?

Thanks
Can you tell us what age and size they are, male or female. Are they both not eating? Did you see what they fed on at their previous home. Also how you keep them compared with what they had previous, indoors, outdoors and lighting, all these things can have a baring on what the problem is.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts

Thanks
We need to know a lot more about the tortoises before we can help.
As has been said by Jewel Lady.
Are they getting extra heat?
Size?
Are they loosing weight?
Have they been wormed?
No healthy tortoise will refuse food, just keep putting the weeds in front of them, if they are hungry they will eat. Keep changing things will only confuse them more. Tortoises dont always like changes just like us.
A picture can tell a lot about tortoises.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts