Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have almost completed building two boa vivs, each measuring 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft. I was thinking of using a tube heater, as used for greenhouses and such to heat the viv. What size heater should i use and where should I position it to create a thermal gradient?
Many Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i've seen alot of people using these, they are very good and very cheap compared to normal viv heating equipment. put it up one end of the viv so one end is hotter than the other. you will have to build a cage around it tho and you'll prob find the snake will lie on the cage so make sure its strong.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
is that 6ft high?

if so id put it, depending on other heating but assumin url also have basks at the top, about 2ft from the ground level so the bottom 2 foot remains nice and cool and is effectively the cool end.

you may find lowering it at a later date works if more of the bottom is cool thanu need, its trial and error really.

I HAVE NOT USED THEM YET so i cant comment on size or wattage etc, id go for ONE 2 foot tube to start, see how it works, you can always order another, so yeh buy 2 [one for each] and then see.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh right ok..id prolly still do the same but would expect it to bump the heat up more considerabley.. they can be plugged into a stat so not a problem,,, they are definetly a viable option for heating so give it a go, im going to next timei build/buy a new viv.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have used these before,and they work,but don't forget the wattage if you put to much on one stat it will jam on,i am putting a 4 foot one in the new cage but will use 2 states,180 for tube 2 ceamic 100s and heat mate,so about 400 watts and most stats are 300 max

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used to use one of these to heat a cabinet full of spiders, along with a Habistat thermostat, it was very effective.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts