Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yep i do , the uv tube starts to deteriorate after about six months and the uv output will decrease until there's hardly any uv radiating from it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do they suggest replacing the reflectors? I can Understand the tubes but not reflectors.
]

it doesnt suggest why you should change them it just says it recomends changing the reflector every 12 months when you replace the tubes, i think its somone from arcadia thats wrote the artical.

i change the tubes but the reflectors look fine.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
if it was somebody from the petshop who wrote it, they'd probably recommend replacing the viv as well.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Thought he meant uv tube , did'nt read it properly , reflector i would'nt bother changing unless it looked a bit rough. :blush:

·
Registered
170 Posts

"always use a quality reflector to maximise the light and uv avalable to your pets. reflectors should be changed at least once a year when you change your uv lamps."

wrote by john from arcadia
I hate it when people are obviously giving incorrect advise in the pursuit of profit.

How often do you replace the mirrors in your house ? ever ?,
no you clean them. I think the clue is in the name "reflector"

Now if their reflectors are poor quality and oxidise or tarnish badly then perhaps the advice is sound LOL

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate it when people are obviously giving incorrect advise in the pursuit of profit.

Now if their reflectors are poor quality and oxidise or tarnish badly then perhaps the advice is sound LOL
Thought he meant uv tube , did'nt read it properly , reflector i would'nt bother changing unless it looked a bit rough. :blush:

agreed the fact that it was written by someone from arcadia maybe after making more money is what i thought, just wanted to see wht the general opinion of it was.

·
Registered
11,327 Posts

Yeah but funnily enough, I replace UVB lights every 6 months. By that time, the 10% ones have degraded enough that they're practically useless, at least for tortoises and turtles. 5% will degrade to useless even faster, and 2% aren't much good at all!

Yet they say replace every 12 months, when they could state every 6 months? That would bring in more money, instead of claiming reflectors need changed every year! Dafties :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts