Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use turf within tarantula enclosures? Sick of seeing soil within the tropical enclosures so looking at adding turf for the ground. But not sure if it's safe lol.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
they HATE walking on grass, when i say 'hate' i dont mean that in the emotional sense, but they do avoid it whenever possible, which is why i try to photograph all my spids on cork bark in the middle of the lawn.

plus, grass needs an immense amount of light to flourish, so it would prolly just yellow, whither and die, then rot away.
ask anyone who tries keeping a green lawn in the shade of a tree

if you introduce moss that'll give you the green youre after over time :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never thought about the light lol.
Never knew they hate grass also - would of ben really short.
So thanks for that.

With the moss, you mean add live miss to the soil? I've got moss on the branches etc and live plants.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Add leaf-litter?

As said, grass wouldn't work.

·
Registered
218 Posts
yeah as above grass would need far to much light,but you can get some really nice moss to grow in t's viv's from humid enviroments pretty much any moss from aquarium suppliers will do well but best is prob java and christmas moss.also as above get various leaves like magnolia,holme( live oak),sicamore,ash,english oak,and scatter some small twigs for a more rainforest effect. sorry for any spelling.:lol2:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip guys. I've just finished the p.cambridgei tank and decided I'll make it more woods looking for my tanks. So leafs, twig etc and break up a tad and stuff and scatter them.

Boiling them and cooking for a tad be okay still? Or would I need to do more.

Just seen your reply leonh - seem to be on the right lines now :p thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
How would you be able to cut the grass ? Don't think a t could use a flymo. You can use moss from local woods if you wanted to, I don't tend to use my forage stuff sterilized just put it in and not had any nasties or problems

·
Registered
218 Posts
i agree apart from maybe a coulpe of checks for things like slugs and snails, you should be good to go, and also stuff straight from the wild will have tones of good bacteria that will help establish the enviroment in ur viv much quicker just be carefull not to collect near road sides and areas that might use alot of pesticides like farmland.

·
Registered
731 Posts
+1 on using leaf litter. It can make an enclosure look really natural.

As for mosses, I would recommend getting holding of some tropical species. I have tried using native stuff from my local woods and it dies off fairly quickly due to the heat. As already mentioned Java moss will work if you can keep it damp enough. Also have a look in houseplant sections of garden centres. They sometimes have mosses available that should be more heat tolerant.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
If you really want to have a go with live mosses/substrates, I would suggest doing a load of research first or it's very easy to make a complete mess of your enclosure ...... the habitat section on these boards is a good place to start ... also i'd recommend having a look on some of the German and EU invert forums, as live planted vivaria always seems to be a lot more popular with hobbyists in the EU.

If done properley with time and lots of attention, the live substrate/planted look is awesome, particularly for arboreal settings.

Good luck!
-P

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
GRB did a really nice set up with moss.
Give him a shout.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
they HATE walking on grass, when i say 'hate' i dont mean that in the emotional sense, but they do avoid it whenever possible, which is why i try to photograph all my spids on cork bark in the middle of the lawn.

plus, grass needs an immense amount of light to flourish, so it would prolly just yellow, whither and die, then rot away.
ask anyone who tries keeping a green lawn in the shade of a tree

if you introduce moss that'll give you the green youre after over time :)

I agree with Steve ive not seen a T yet that likes to play in the grass but if you really wanted to grow turf in your enclosure just add a rep bulb and keep it on 14 hours a day this will grow your turf well enough ;) still think your not gonna have a happy spider tho :)

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I agree with Steve ive not seen a T yet that likes to play in the grass but if you really wanted to grow turf in your enclosure just add a rep bulb and keep it on 14 hours a day this will grow your turf well enough ;) still think your not gonna have a happy spider tho :)
there ya go, from the grassmeister himself :2thumb:

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts