Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of the fish in my tank have white spot, my turtle appears to be fine, does anyone know of any white spot treatment stuff i can use to sort the fish but not upset the turtle?
cheers
ads

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I'd be a bit dubious about trying any of the standard treatments with turtles in the tank, to be honest- I don't know that they can be damaging, but I don't know they can't, either!

Also, no offence to you, but most people use more than the stated dose every time. I think you have three choices: Take the risk, and use them with all the animals still in the tank; take out the turts and treat the tank; or move the fish into a temporary tank and treat them there. The last seems the best to me, as even with partial water changes you can never be sure you've removed all the treatment, plus a lot of them tend to kill off filter bacteria. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I'd play it safe and remove the turts while treating the fish.

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
I might be remembering completely wrongly, but with white spot, do you not have to treat the tank itself, as well as the fish? I'm sure I read that it can be in the tank and come back to your fish, even after you've cured the fish, if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might be remembering completely wrongly, but with white spot, do you not have to treat the tank itself, as well as the fish? I'm sure I read that it can be in the tank and come back to your fish, even after you've cured the fish, if you know what I mean!
thats what i thought, ergo youd need to do the turtle too?

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Do turtles get white spot the same as fish? I just googled and got nothing :hmm:

I did find this Why do my fish get white spots? - Yahoo! AnswersWhich details a method for treating white spot in fish that would be turtle safe (I think, not sure about the concentration of the salt without checking though)

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Do turtles get white spot the same as fish? I just googled and got nothing :hmm:

I did find this Why do my fish get white spots? - Yahoo! AnswersWhich details a method for treating white spot in fish that would be turtle safe (I think, not sure about the concentration of the salt without checking though)
No, white spot is fish-specific. There is no chance the turts can 'catch it'. My concern is that I don't know what effect the treatment might have on a turt. I know (for example) that most are copper-based, and have a really bad effect on invertebrates- especially snails- but I don't know the effect on reptiles. If any. I would rather safeguard my turts than any incidental fish, but that's my priority:lol2:

EDIT: Actually, back in the Stone Age, a salt bath was one of the standard treatments for white spot- and it involved hoiking out each fish individually, rather than treating the tank. It worked, though.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, white spot is fish-specific. There is no chance the turts can 'catch it'. My concern is that I don't know what effect the treatment might have on a turt. I know (for example) that most are copper-based, and have a really bad effect on invertebrates- especially snails- but I don't know the effect on reptiles. If any. I would rather safeguard my turts than any incidental fish, but that's my priority:lol2:

EDIT: Actually, back in the Stone Age, a salt bath was one of the standard treatments for white spot- and it involved hoiking out each fish individually, rather than treating the tank. It worked, though.
i was under the impression that the white spot would remain in the water etc. would i be best getting the fish out and treating them and then doing a full water change?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
White spot (Iscthyopthiriasis) is a really nasty protozoan parasite that used to be treated by colouring the tank water with methylene blue. Another treatment was putting the fish in 2% mercurochrome solution ( 1 drop to 1 litre water) for around 2 hours a day. I dont know if the treatments have changed as these were from my teen fishy days but both these home treatment options are totally unsuitable for turtles....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.