Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I first met up with my turtles I've been looking to find a supplier of purpose built turtle tanks. They currently reside in a 3ft aquarium which has the basking lamp on a clamp attached to the top & a 3ft UV bulb hanging over the top held in place by bulldog clips! As such they have no proper lid but just a condensation sheet thingy (like you get in fish tanks) that sits over the whole lot cut down to allow room for the basking lamp to poke through. :confused:
As I'm gonna be getting a bigger set up anyway I'm thinking either way it's gonna cost a pretty penny or three so I may as well see if there's anything more suitable for my little guys! :)
The current set up meets their needs but doesn't look pretty & I was wondering whether there were any makes of hood or tank that accomodate the basking lamp & UV bulbs (or even a tank that has a good external filter too) or if there was a better way of running my set up?
Am probably being really blonde :oops: (it wouldn't be the first time - & don't get mardy cos I really am blonde!) but anyone got any ideas? Thanks :help:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi me again :lol: :? Have you tried www.turtletimes.com ?? its a fantastic forum with hundreds of turtle owners who really know there stuff (might be better to post that sort of question there) its mainly american but there are afew of us brits on there!! As for tank i have a jewel tank with the lights attached under the roof so i switched them with uvb strip lights, left the back panel off (to allow condensation to escape,and to put my basking lamp over) ! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Shall have a look on their later & pick their brains too... perhaps I've spotted a niche in the market where I could make millions :lol2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hun/Bro/Friend, i reccomend you get things made to how you want em. Its what i do (altho i am in concstruction so have friends/contacts for materials bla bla bla. At the mo i got a clear-seal w/o a lid, n basking lamp on clamp like yours, If you really are insisting on having a lid, maybe if u no any handy ppl you can get a peice of worktop or something and have it cut to suit. Just some ideas, Illl probs post up a lil more nowadayz since this place getting lively w/ my topic :D

And Cath, I give up asking Q's to the general people, they all end up rowing :shock: too many opposing views lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
:lol: :lol: pmsl :lol: :lol: you really should try turtletimes aswell, you get no arguments there, just turt people who know what there on about :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll: :wink: do you think i ll get told off now????? :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
idk id say so, but probs jus same as las place "this isnt specifically a turt page if u want dedication then look elsewhere" but meh lol i like posting this forum, always some kewl peepz out on here :D "pmsl" :roll:

if i can be bothered to sign up to yet another site ill go there next, the other guy who posted this thread (name too long to keep remembering >.< ) where bouts in England u based?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm based in sunny Birmingham where turtle info is definately more famine than feast! Loads of pet shops seem to be stocking turtles now but no-one seems to know anything about proper housing. Been looking on a certain auction site but am fast falling out with them as they keep allowing turtles to be listed which gets me sooooo cross :evil:
Keep hoping someone'll list my dream set up but methinks it's gonna be a project I do some serious work for and save up for it. The little guys seem happy enough in their current set up but they're so fab they deserve the best (blurgh... how sad am I... I have no life).
Hopefully getting a bigger tank off my sis tho which means I'll have a vancant tank... ooooh I wonder what I shall do with that.. Christmas coming... the pitter patter of little turtle feet... I NEED MORE TURTLES... they don't judge me! :lol2:
And of course they're essential for my little younglings education! haha! So what do you guys have?

·
Registered
60 Posts
wow another one from birmingham :lol: im getting all lonely down here by myself :lol: i ve got two African Helmeted boys and a murdering Stinkpot turt who after two years of living in peace with my fish has just hunted down and decapitated two of them!! :shock: :evil: I would like to get a spotted turtle, map turtle,loggerhead musk oh god the list goes on and on :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok cool, anutha brummie on here at last lol. Yeah the info here is how to put it politely...SH!T
I found that Shirley Aquatics have a guy there who seems to know more than most ive met, but oh my days....******* he isnt the best of characters so to speak. I got 2 YBS and a Map turtle more recently lol. He starting to wise up now thank god, he waits for the YBS to fight over same peice of food then takes the other stuff round them haha. The thing to consider when looking for a lid for ur turts tank is the temperatures, it will obviously trap more heat so might be a little awkward but i dnt know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! :)
Yeah I was taken by surpise when I went to Shirley aquatics the other week to get Trigger his regular supply of elodea densa (oooh he loves the stuff) and they had this whole new reptile thing going on! (I hadn't been for a while)... I was a little taken aback by the number or turtles in their set up tho but they all seemed happy enough. Had to move on quick tho cos if I'd heard the guy give his axylotl speech again I was gonna have a nervous breakdown.. began to feel I was stuck in a loop but to be fair he knew his stuff (at least about axylotls!)
Am heading back next weekend to get Trig (and Tonks too but he don't get much of a look in with Trig about) some more fresh greens so will ask them then what setups they recommend.
Thanks again tho... so nice to find people to talk to :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like i said, the guy seems to know a bit but Oh my days he is annoying. And yes, their setup was rather.....packed so to speka lol. Although the turts didnt seem to be unfit of such.
I still have to reccomend u dnt go with a lid mate, and i wudnt go in and ask for details off of them. No offence to the shop but they are SALESMAN and they have 1 thing in mind sometimes. Myself i would jus keep an opentop tank, have your mesh across the top, if u feel it doesnt look so good then u can give the top rim a new cover or such but really having a lid will not increase the suitability for the turts ^^; jus my honest opinion mate. Speak to you soon :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts