Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my frst snakes in the not so distant future and looks like we might be getting "his and hers" corns for me and the beter half. Rember seeing a thread ages ago about how many mats you can run of a single stat but cant find it now and dont think i read it at the time so......

Seeing as we'll be getting two snakes we'll have two separate vivs (well tubs at first) do we need two heat mats with two separate stats, can we use one larger heatmat under the two tubs and one stat or can you use more than one heater on a single stat? Not a total idiot and have done my research both using this forum and using that stoneaged technology books so understand about temperatures and only covering 1/3 rd of the viv etc.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but would like to get everything set up and running in advance before buying so i can check it all and make sure its suitable for the new purchases.

M

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You could do any of the above buddy! I have my hatchling corns in 2 seperate tubs with 1 mat & 1 stat. But I also have my Boa & my Royal in two seperate vivs, with 2 heatmats controlled by one stat, but would probably better of with a twin stat on these (will be purchased in the near future).

Obviously there's all the different cost involved, etc but choice is really yours!

Chris.

·
Registered
513 Posts
yes you can run two heatmats off one stat , more if you wish as long as you don't exceed the wattage of the stat

two mats will work no problem

or as you say get a bigger mat and share between the two

hope this helps : victory:

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
If you are using tubs then a heat mat on a stat shared between them would be fine, when they are in vivs you obviously need more than 1 heat mat, but it is possible to use the one stat for both mats, just keep a regular eye on the viv without the probe. I have 3 ceramic heaters in separate vivs running from the same pulse stat with no problems, they all have the same temps in them.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Only problem I'd have running 2 heaters from one stat... what if the heater where the probe is set to fails? Run the risk of cooking the other snake I'd have thought

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, really dont know which one i'll go for now, wish you had just said to get 2x2 then i wouldnt have to think it through :lol2:;)

Had already decided on a buying a pulse stat, bit more expensive i know but if i'm only needing one then no problem.

One more noob question for you. Is it ok to buy a stat that can handle more power that you be puting through it? eg if i run two 8.5W mats through a 300W stat so that i can use the same stat when i get larger heatmats?

???Obviously??? mats used on the same stat must be of the same power and type???

Mark

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Thanks everyone, really dont know which one i'll go for now, wish you had just said to get 2x2 then i wouldnt have to think it through :lol2:;)

Had already decided on a buying a pulse stat, bit more expensive i know but if i'm only needing one then no problem.

One more noob question for you. Is it ok to buy a stat that can handle more power that you be puting through it? eg if i run two 8.5W mats through a 300W stat so that i can use the same stat when i get larger heatmats?

???Obviously??? mats used on the same stat must be of the same power and type???

Mark
I might be off here, but I don't think you'd wanna use a Pulse on mats, would think that would burn it out?

Yes you can use lower wattage heaters than the stat supports, just don't exceed max load.
Use the same size heaters on the same sized vivs, more accurate control over both vivs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
im using a pulse stat for a mat in my incubator

not had any problems with the mat , have even been advised the pulse was the best for the job

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I might be off here, but I don't think you'd wanna use a Pulse on mats, would think that would burn it out?

I think it would be a waste of money to use a pulse on a mat, I only use them for ceramics, and I'd imagine that they don't work that well with the mats. There is a difference in price of anything from £10-£20 less for a mat stat compared to a pulse stat, so I'd go with the cheapest option, and the one which is guaranteed to work with mats.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Pulse stats work fine on mats. I use them all the time with no problem.

You can use as many mats on a stat as you want provided it doesn't exceed the maximum wattage. Probably a good idea to get the mats all the same size and make (though I've used 2 the same make but one longer than the other with no problems). You can use as few mats as you like too, but you must exceed the minimum wattage. I quite like heat strips (long thin mats) for multiple RUBs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:notworthy:thanks again to everyone that posted will have another good wee think before i buy everything and start to get the set ups erm... set up!

Thanks again :2thumb:

M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts