Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have been doing alot of research into purchasing my first beardie, one question i did have was that i live in the UK and the room i am looking to putting the beardie in gets quite cold during the winter.

Do i require two thermostats (and thermoeters) one to regulate the basking lamp during the day and the second one to regulate the ceramic lamp during the night or is there another way around this.

thanks very much
pdjpeter :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Hi all,

Have been doing alot of research into purchasing my first beardie, one question i did have was that i live in the UK and the room i am looking to putting the beardie in gets quite cold during the winter.

Do i require two thermostats (and thermoeters) one to regulate the basking lamp during the day and the second one to regulate the ceramic lamp during the night or is there another way around this.

thanks very much
pdjpeter :)
You can get theromostats that can run both so no need for 2 :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You can get theromostats that can run both so no need for 2 :2thumb:
Ye you get a day and night dimming thermostat. I would recommend one of the new digital ones. I have the habistat one and the microclimate and I do prefer the microclimate although it is more expensive.
Then use a infrared bulb as this can be used 24 hours a day and the thermostat will change from night and day at the set times you have programmed it to.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ye you get a day and night dimming thermostat. I would recommend one of the new digital ones. I have the habistat one and the microclimate and I do prefer the microclimate although it is more expensive.
Then use a infrared bulb as this can be used 24 hours a day and the thermostat will change from night and day at the set times you have programmed it to.
Hope this helps
Ahh ok thanks guys knew there would be a way round this :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just to point out that this means using the same ceramic bulb for day an night heat.

For a basking spot you may need another white "light" source for day time basking as IME they use the white light to work out where the basking spot is rather than the heat! Light only, no heat - LED buld would be fine.

Your original question was if you could operate two different sources on the one stat and I dont think the above will manage that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So in all honestly its most probaly easier to run two separate themostats one for the night ceramic bulb so keep the night time temperature and then just a basking bulb to retain day time heat? Surely other people have had the same issues or do I just live in a very cold house!!

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
465 Posts
My approach is to use a standard dimming stat on the basking light on a timer set to 90+ which then turns off over night (probe placed away from the basking spot as that needs to be higher than the stat will go)

I have a seperate reptile radiator (essentially a low profile ceramic) which is on a day/night pulse stat which is on 24 hours a day.

During the day this helps the rest of the viv get a bit warmer (without this I tend to just have one side being warm). Then at night it drops to approx 65F setting so the radiator either does not come on if no need, or does when it is very cold.

This set up makes sure my temps dont fall below 65 at nigh plus get some benefit from the extra equipment during the day helping me reach 80 in the middle of the viv (and back up heat if bulb blows when I am out)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My approach is to use a standard dimming stat on the basking light on a timer set to 90+ which then turns off over night (probe placed away from the basking spot as that needs to be higher than the stat will go)

I have a seperate reptile radiator (essentially a low profile ceramic) which is on a day/night pulse stat which is on 24 hours a day.

During the day this helps the rest of the viv get a bit warmer (without this I tend to just have one side being warm). Then at night it drops to approx 65F setting so the radiator either does not come on if no need, or does when it is very cold.

This set up makes sure my temps dont fall below 65 at nigh plus get some benefit from the extra equipment during the day helping me reach 80 in the middle of the viv (and back up heat if bulb blows when I am out)
You can do all this with a microclimate prime 2 as it has 2 thermostats in it which u can choose to be either dimming or pulse

·
Registered
465 Posts
Bugger. That wasn't around when I was looking. Mind you at 130 I prob wouldn't have considered it (that's what I'm telling myself now lol)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Bugger. That wasn't around when I was looking. Mind you at 130 I prob wouldn't have considered it (that's what I'm telling myself now lol)
Ye only been out about a month. They are worth every penny to be honest I absolutely love min and keeps the temps exactly what I want them to be all the time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts