Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Looking for some advice from any tympanocryptis owners. I'm thinking of purchasing a small group of these guys or some rankin's dragons. I currently have a 4x2x2 which I'm working on to sell but may just keep it if I don't get much interest. Would this viv be too large or too dangerous for tympanocryptis? I've added a pic below so you can see its layout. I know they're only small which worries me. I just don't know how adapted to climbing they are? If they'll be ok in this viv? If they'll use the space or just stay on the floor? There is a ramped basking zone on the left (not pictured, its removable) which also gives access to the top shelf however there is a gap of 2-3" between ramp and shelf. The build was built with BD's or similar in mind, will this be dangerous for tympanocryptis or will they leap over the gap like it isn't there?!

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Im pretty sure a small group (3-4) of earless dragons would be happy in a 3ft viv, and an adult pair of rankins would be fine in a 3ft too.
However i never see any problems with providing an animal with nore than just 'adequate' space, but thats the great debate, how much space is too much lol.
Personally i would get maybe 5 earless dragons if i was using your setup, or maybe 3 rankins.
Provided thier is only one male per viv i see no problems but they may need feeding from tongs when they are really young, or try to section of a bit of the viv while they eat so they dont get too stessed trying to catch thier dinner :)

Adam

Sent From My Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im pretty sure a small group (3-4) of earless dragons would be happy in a 3ft viv, and an adult pair of rankins would be fine in a 3ft too.
However i never see any problems with providing an animal with nore than just 'adequate' space, but thats the great debate, how much space is too much lol.
Personally i would get maybe 5 earless dragons if i was using your setup, or maybe 3 rankins.
Provided thier is only one male per viv i see no problems but they may need feeding from tongs when they are really young, or try to section of a bit of the viv while they eat so they dont get too stessed trying to catch thier dinner :)

Adam

Cheers pal, I was just worried about the possibility of it being dangerous for the earless with a big drop and gaps?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing they wouldn't face in the wild, not that we can compare. I'd say the shelf is roughly 10" off the floor. There's a 2-3" gap between the basking platform and the shelf in which they would need to pass to get on/off the shelf. Nothing they could get stuck in though.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Should be fine mate, ive just left pets at home (went to get some frozen mice and rats) and they have beardies about 4" tip to tail, onenjust fell from about 14" high and landed on its feet, did look like it hurt but it ran away as soon as i got the reprile lady to open the viv to check on it

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
That viv would be awesome for them, they're pretty good climbers.
Mine used to run up the walls at stupid speeds if frightened, infact they go so fast they take off and fall down lol!
Just use a nice deep substrate and they'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That viv would be awesome for them, they're pretty good climbers.
Mine used to run up the walls at stupid speeds if frightened, infact they go so fast they take off and fall down lol!
Just use a nice deep substrate and they'll be fine.
Interesting. I'm really stuck in two minds between these and rankins. Either way I think I'll adapt the fake floor to include another deep substrate area at the back right corner of the viv.

Cheers for putting my mind at rest guys, I'll see what I can find at s.w.a.r.e!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Interesting. I'm really stuck in two minds between these and rankins. Either way I think I'll adapt the fake floor to include another deep substrate area at the back right corner of the viv.

Cheers for putting my mind at rest guys, I'll see what I can find at s.w.a.r.e!
Wish i could make it to s.w.a.r.e :( not planning on buying anything but it sounds like a good day out, my 15month old daughter loves watching and holding my corn snake, shame ww are gonna miss it. Would be nice to be able to meet some members too, especially those who have hiven me lots of advice like you tom :)

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish i could make it to s.w.a.r.e :( not planning on buying anything but it sounds like a good day out, my 15month old daughter loves watching and holding my corn snake, shame ww are gonna miss it. Would be nice to be able to meet some members too, especially those who have hiven me lots of advice like you tom :)

Yeah it will be nice to meet people and does sound like a good day. I just hope there's earless dragons or rankin's there.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have another question! I may possibly have sourced a 1.5 year old breeding pair fairly locally to me. It seems a good price so all being good I may take them on. Now my question is... I was hoping for 4 or 5 in a 4x2x2, I know its enough space but is it ok to introduce younger specimens at a later date? For example, if I were to acquire the breeding pair next week, vet check and parasite check them. Would it then be ok for me to purchase another pair/trio of babies/juveniles next month at sware and introduce them in with the breeding pair?

I understand if this may not be recommended, in which case that's fine, I'll hold off until sware.

Thanks in advance, Tom.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have another question! I may possibly have sourced a 1.5 year old breeding pair fairly locally to me. It seems a good price so all being good I may take them on. Now my question is... I was hoping for 4 or 5 in a 4x2x2, I know its enough space but is it ok to introduce younger specimens at a later date? For example, if I were to acquire the breeding pair next week, vet check and parasite check them. Would it then be ok for me to purchase another pair/trio of babies/juveniles next month at sware and introduce them in with the breeding pair?

I understand if this may not be recommended, in which case that's fine, I'll hold off until sware.

Thanks in advance, Tom.
Can any one help with this?

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Yes you could introduce more to the group. It's best to quanteen them before introduction to prevent the transfer of parasite etc. but pending quanteen there is no reason why you could never add to the group.

i regularly add to my various groups.

Jay

·
Registered
8,236 Posts

Thanks in advance, Tom.
Is that an earless dragon pair?
If so the person trying to sell them is going to rip ya off, they don't live much passed 2 years old so should be retiring this season to be honest.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yes you could introduce more to the group. It's best to quanteen them before introduction to prevent the transfer of parasite etc. but pending quanteen there is no reason why you could never add to the group.

i regularly add to my various groups.

Jay
Is this true if there a big differences in size? Like having a breedong pair of adults then adding very young onea? As i know with bearded dragons its a big no no

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is that an earless dragon pair?
If so the person trying to sell them is going to rip ya off, they don't live much passed 2 years old so should be retiring this season to be honest.
Yes it is, I didn't realise they lived to such a short age. In that case I'll pass. Cheers for this.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Is this true if there a big differences in size? Like having a breedong pair of adults then adding very young onea? As i know with bearded dragons its a big no no

within reason yes, if smaller animals can become prey obviously don't put them together. i.e. mixing a 3 month baby leo with an adult is not going to work. They need to be simular in size.

As you have an existing colony there should already be enough basking spots and a hierarchy so worrying about those things is already taken care off.

Jay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.