Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my 1st ever post in this section, as I have just taken on a 4 or 5 year old tortoise from someone who is too busy to care for him anymore. I only picked him up last night and I am already in love :love:

I have been reading many posts in preparation for my newcomer, but I couldn't find confirmation of what types of hay/grasses are suitable (sorry if I have missed this).

I note from one post that Pets at Home do a good selection of hays (I think I will nip there after work) - are all of these ok for leopards or only certain types?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Hello Leopards are great tortoises
remember their diet is 70% grass 30% weeds

I use readigrass, i sell it in my shop or you can get it from any horse suppliers
readigrass is just dried grass

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hi all, this is my 1st ever post in this section, as I have just taken on a 4 or 5 year old tortoise from someone who is too busy to care for him anymore. I only picked him up last night and I am already in love :love:

I have been reading many posts in preparation for my newcomer, but I couldn't find confirmation of what types of hay/grasses are suitable (sorry if I have missed this).

I note from one post that Pets at Home do a good selection of hays (I think I will nip there after work) - are all of these ok for leopards or only certain types?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :2thumb:
hi Loz,it can be difficult to get some young leopards to eat grasses when they are indoors and often they will only eat them readily when they are able to graze outdoors.i feed all my hatchlings and my juvenile leopards the same diet over winter,when it can be to cold for them to graze outdoors.the adults have access to graze-on which is a dried grass and their food is fed to them on a tray of this so some will be eaten accidentally.my adults have access outdoors daily so can graze for a time for most winter days once they are warmed up.be very careful that yours doesnt become chilled if you feel he is large enough to go out on winter days.only larger adults are able to hold their heat for any length of time during the winter.http://www.tortoise-island.com/page...ing-diet&sid=29aa28edcb85fd44e7427480f52d004f
terry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply, I have not had access to my PC. Thank you both for your helpful replies :) Brian seems to be settling in well.

Terry you metioned that larger adult leopards can graze outside for a time for most winter days once they are warmed up. What size would would you say they need to be to be able to hold their heat outside in winter?

Also, how long would they be able to hold their heat for, before you would need to bring them back in to warm up?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I have not had access to my PC. Thank you both for your helpful replies :) Brian seems to be settling in well.

Terry you metioned that larger adult leopards can graze outside for a time for most winter days once they are warmed up. What size would would you say they need to be to be able to hold their heat outside in winter?

Also, how long would they be able to hold their heat for, before you would need to bring them back in to warm up?
hi what i do is restrict the area they have access to because they dont realise they are going to get chilled and think its just a normal day when they can go and graze in the main enclosure,without any problems.my smaller males in particular often need to be brought back in once they cool down and become inactive.if i restrict the area they have access to the larger females will go out for an hour then return before they become to cold.its difficult to say exactly what is the smallest you could allow out but if they are under 300mm i would be very wary and bring them back in as soon as they become inactive.my largest girl is 460mm and even though she is capable of walking up to the main enclosure even she will find it difficult to get back on all but the mildest of days.they do benefit from being able to graze even if only for a short time but you need to be very cautious and dont let them become chiled on a regular basis or they may become ill overwinter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for your response. Brian is roughly 250mm (will check when he is awake), so any grazing will be done with caution.

Thanks again, all advice is much appreciated as I want to give my tortoise the best care possible but I have a lot to learn and experience, with this being my first tortoise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts