Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the hassle of a rancid mouse, then defrosting another for her.... Nyoka has decided its shed time!

In the time I have been mucking about trying to sort out her dinner... she has gone and blued up on me!! :roll:

From this: (normal colour)

To this now:

Oh well.. watch this space... hopefully I'll have a lovely shiny 'new' snake soon :D

I'm quite excited, its my first shed... well... Nyokas first shed since I adopted her :wink:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Lol, my little female does this to me all too often. The other day actually I went to feed her and she was just starting to go blue, so I decided not to feed her. Then a couple of weeks ago I went to feed my adults and they were both in the blue too, at the same time as my little female. So that was 2 small rats and a weaner rat in the bin...Well actually the weaner rat went to the dustbin...My Bosc Monitor :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read in lots of places that bathing a snake once their eyes clear up can help a successful shed?

What does everyone bathe their snakes in?
Her water bowl is too small to totally submerge in, although she does loop bits of her body into her bowl on occasion. I'm keeping her misted and the humidity is about 65% ....

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Keeping the humidity up is always a very good start! What I do is get them out of there viv's and stick um in the bath.... My little boas go in the sink and will stay there for a good hour, problem is keeping an eye on them :D My royal goes in the bath. What I normally do as well is put a rock or something they can rest there heads on out of the water of they want.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Can you not get a water bowl that she can fit into??

I actually thought it was standard practice to always have a bowl that is large enough for the snake to fully submerge itself in.

Hopefully I am wrong and won't have to get another bowl for mine in a few weeks when he has outgrown the one he has only had for three weeks. :? :?

Or it is down to personal preference???

I suppose a humid hide would also be good.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Carl I like to keep snakes in with bowls large enough to bathe in, though I can imagine this gets more difficult with the larger boids! I wouldnt call it "standard practice" but its the way I like to do it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
sloughing

Yeah me too, all my snakes have big enough dishes to fit into, except my 2 adult dumerils & i`m just in the process of trying to find a receptacle big enough for them both as they`re tring to get into the same big!! dog water pot & it`s the biggest one they make to my knowledge, so will have to find something even bigger :lol:

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: sloughing

wayakinwolf said:
Yeah me too, all my snakes have big enough dishes to fit into, except my 2 adult dumerils & i`m just in the process of trying to find a receptacle big enough for them both as they`re tring to get into the same big!! dog water pot & it`s the biggest one they make to my knowledge, so will have to find something even bigger :lol:
The only problem is that she is still in a really useful box in her viv. Theres not enough room in that to put a much bigger bowl in.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I just use a moist hide, they always seek it out, and they dont get cold either :lol: I use them with all my Royals, and they all have perfect sheds every time.

With regards to water bowls, mine never soak in them, given the choice of a water bowl or a nice moist hide, they choose the hide everytime, so they have a smaller water bowl, but they can still soak some of their coils if they so wish. :lol: Even if the water bowl is covered so it is dark, they seem reluctant to actually get in. And none of my snakes have ever seemed to 'enjoy' baths, and I have had a quite a few snakes, they just seem to thrash around and get stressed. Either that or sit still because they are scared shiteless :lol: :lol: But each to their own, some may like being bathed, but I prefer to let them decide when they need to bathe, afterall, they know better than I do when they need to do it! :lol:

None of my snakes have a large enough water bowl to soak their whole bodies in, but they all have humid hides, which they seem to prefer. :lol:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very large either ceramic or non tip stainless steel dog bowls seem to be the way to go for larger snakes!

·
Registered
173 Posts
whats the best way to set up a moist hide? Do you just put that moss stuff that i cant spell the name of under one of their hides, or is there a more cunning way to make one?

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slapshot said:
whats the best way to set up a moist hide? Do you just put that moss stuff that i cant spell the name of under one of their hides, or is there a more cunning way to make one?
Ooh, good one...

I was wondering if moist shredded Bounty (it doesnt crumble and disolve like normal paper towel) would suffice?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I use tupperware boxes, varying sizes depending on the snake, bearing in mind that royals like to be in hides where their coils touch the sides of the hide. Then I cut a whole in the top, or the side, just big enough for the snake to get through, smooth down the rough edges, and fill it with sphagnum moss. Tupperware boxes are ideal because they obviously hold the humidity and keep the moss moist. My snakies love them :lol: :lol:

I have always stayed away from kitchen roll for moist hides because I have heard stories about scale rot and blister disease developing when they just sit on it for long periods of time. But I dont think it is true...I am just a paranoid person...If I hear something is going to harm the animals, I dont use it lol No matter what the claims of it being ok are! :lol:

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
scarlettvegetable said:
I have always stayed away from kitchen roll for moist hides because I have heard stories about scale rot and blister disease developing when they just sit on it for long periods of time. But I dont think it is true...I am just a paranoid person...If I hear something is going to harm the animals, I dont use it lol No matter what the claims of it being ok are! :lol:
Ok, better to be safe than sorry then... thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts