Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any recordings of snake hisses, that have shown any important ultrasonic (or subsonic) elements to their hisses?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
interesting, it would have to be vibration based if it existed as there are no ears on snakes= what evolutionary benefit would it have???

I'm interested if you hear of anything!

john

Does anyone know of any recordings of snake hisses, that have shown any important ultrasonic (or subsonic) elements to their hisses?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interesting, it would have to be vibration based if it existed as there are no ears on snakes= what evolutionary benefit would it have???

I'm interested if you hear of anything!

john
not found anything so far, I'm planning on recording my carpets at the end of the week, but the highest frequency I can record with my equipment is 48khz, which leaves quite allot of ultrasonic bandwidth unrecorded (waiting to see if I can get a mic to get upto 96khz from our tech company) - will report back if anything significant pops up!

snakes do have some ability to pick up (sound) pressure waves (rather than vibration) upto ~170hz, at least they respond to waves below that freq, but there doesn't seem to be any info regarding ultrasonic or subsonic detection of either vibrations or pressure waves, or info on whether they produce those freqz, either intentionally or incidentally

i'm interested to find out too! :D ...this came out of the question, do snakes hiss at one another? given their poor response to sound waves at hissing freqz (at a guess 8khz~12khz, audible to us), it seems unlikely that hissing at other snakes would be very useful (except visually), unless there are sub/ultrasonic freqz in there aswell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts