Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's not a one-sided argument. There are bad points too. This paper covers BOTH sides; including the one which the vets don't want to mention! :whistling2:

It's a PDF file.

www.naiaonline.org/.../LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pd...

This one is from a website regarding sporting dogs, but still packed with good and unbiased information. Another PDF.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CGwQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caninesports.com%2Fuploads%2F1%2F5%2F3%2F1%2F15319800%2Fspay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf&ei=K6rVUuWxH4PC7AaIvIDQBg&usg=AFQjCNFNpV95MOJ9lbpMKspiHyu5augQ5Q&sig2=yGaRIl_xea7jtPJHZn_SEA

When discussing the health impacts of spay/neuter, health risks are often not mentioned. At times, some risks are mentioned, but the most severe risks usually are not.

"This article is an attempt to summarize the long-term health risks and benefits associated with spay/neuter in dogs that can be found in the veterinary medical literature. This article will not discuss the impact of spay/neuter on population control, or the impact of spay/neuter on behaviour.

Nearly all of the health risks and benefits summarized in this article are findings from retrospective epidemiological research studies of dogs, which examine potential associations by looking backwards in time. A few are from prospective research studies, which examine potential associations by looking forward in time.... "

Personally, I believe that no healthy (behaviourally& physically, that is) male dog should be neutered.

Bitches are a little more difficult. I have NOT spayed my girl (personal choice only) and have experienced one minor problem - while we were getting something else checked out at the vets she checked her abdomen and found a minor swelling. One ultrasound later it was a minor uterus infection cleared up by antibiotics and not returned since.

No arguments please, let's agree to disagree.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I didn't want to get my boy neutered as early (if atall) as I did after reading a lot of this stuff when I was deciding what to do. Unfortunately he had a retained testicle so I had no choice.
I was always planning to get the bitch spayed however I now regret it as we nearly lost her. I'd never get another bitch done the normal way however would provably still get the ovaries removed as its a much smaller op and my girl went stir crazy being kept on a lead while in heat.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
we have just had our male papillon/chihuahua neutered for a few reasons, he's started to scent mark/pee in our flat and every where else he goes whether thats in a house or shop, he needs to gain weight! he's always been borderline underweight and has a 'thing' about eating, then there's his 'shagging' everything in sight. I don't know whether it will cure some of these things but as we don't want to breed or have him a nuisance (there are two other dogs in the main house where we live) we felt it was something we needed to do. Regarding the eating both times he's ever been on painkillers/antibiotics his appetite has become normal, he eats, so we're trying, after talking to the vet, Zantac liquid as I wondered if he gets indigestion or similar and the painkillers helped whatever was bothering him, anyway yesterday after two doses he ate a lot better, I know its to early to tell but I do hope we may have found his problem, its only a tiny dose as he only weighs about 2.5 k he's been a problem since a puppy with his not wanting to eat. Milo was a year in November.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
We've never usually had a problem,
but due to circumstances beyond my control, i recently had to put my dog into foster,
as the person couldnt take any more dogs in while he was intact, he had also started peeing on everything, i decided to get him nuetered, and i honestly really hate myself for it, he changed, before he was a complete softy, i could trust him with anyone/ anything
he suddenly just turned, started getting possessive over certain people would growl if you came too close to his things, would start picking fights with other dogs, started challenging people, i didnt know who this dog had turned into, completley broke my heart and something i will never forgive myself for if im honest,

And for that reason, unless health reasons means i have to, i wont be neutering any dogs i have in the future.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
I'm on the fence to be quite frank. I have absolutely no problems with spaying or neutering providing it is done at a safe and healthy age (both physical and mental) - but I can understand the possible ramifications, etc. Also if you are responsible with your dog then there is no reason why it shouldn't be left entire. Obviously if your bitch is in season don't be a wally and walk her offlead in a heavy traffic area and cry foul if a loved-up male tries it on!
We kept our male Springer entire for about 7 years... and he would have remained entire until the end of his days had he not experienced medical issues with his testes which called for their removal. We were concerned that it would change him but thankfully he didn't :)
We neutered our rescued Shih Tzu-x-Papillon the same week we brought him home. He was packed full of issues like scent marking, aggression, general bad behaviour, etc. and after the neutering he calmed down significantly. He's still aggressive and a horrifically disobedient swine but he no longer sits on a hair trigger.
We got our Tibetan Terrier spayed about a month after her first season or somewhere along those lines... we certainly want no puppies from her, ever, and her mother had mammary cancer so we were a little worried about Jazzy's future. Also after growing up with nothing but dogs and this being our very first bitch, we thought it was a good decision.

Reactions: PPVallhunds

·
Registered
727 Posts
so many people blaim not neutering for all the full rescues but its not hard to prevent entire dogs breeding and if an accident happened there is the anerlizn injection that is much safer then the old miss mate injection to prevent the eggs implanting. I know people who keep both sexes entire with out having accidental litters.

Twice now ive bumped into off lead females running lose in fields that are used a lot by dog walkers. One a 6 month staffy whos owner didn't even ask if my dog was a male or not, she ran up to us and wouldn't go back to her owner so I asked if it was friendly he said yes so I let mine off, they were running about playing for 10 minits while we chatted befor he mentioned she was in season!! I told him that she could get pregnant and he should either not walk her or keep her onlead and not walk her in places like fields and he was surprised, he didn't even know how long a season lasts! its shocking.
The second time my girls was playing with her boyfriend who is entire when a whippet cam out of nowhere, we knew her so left them all to play while wondering where her owner was. after a while she appeared threw the trees the other side of the field shouting something (we assumed she was shouting the dog) wasn't until she almost got to use that we could hear she was shouting that her girl was inseason and to keep them away from her!! she got a telling off from the males owner.

When my girl comes in season I wont walk in, near or even past the entrances to the fields, I stick to on lead by the main roads (where by law all dogs should be on lead) and at different times to advoid males and when we did once meet a male I called to the owner to say she was in season and moved to the side so they could pass.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I own an 8 year old intact German Shepherd and never had any problems with him, other than him not liking any other intact males in his territory. We used to live a couple of houses from someone who "bred" (for want of other expressions) a litter of Aussies (with an 14 months old b*tch and originally planning to "breed" merle on merle) and although Trigger was quite restless on the day the puppies were born, he never reacted to any heat.
We now live even closer to a house with 3 intact b*tches and he is not remotely interested in the dogs themselves other than saying hello when they meet (although their GSD can't stand him) and then telling them "too close, had enough!" he doesn't seem to care. When they're in season he is interested where they wee, but doesn't seem to connect it to the dogs themselves. I wouldn't be able to tell by his behaviour alone. One of my old neighbours' dog would have crossed 3 fields to find them.
Some neutered males though seem to drive him crazy, lol. He doesn't seek them out from miles away, but if a really nice smelling on is near him you can see the love hearts in his eyes. It's not happened in years though.

My other dog, Storm, is a spayed female. Being from Dogstrust and having an intact male there was of course no option, but I think I'd always have a female neutered/spayed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts