Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hatchling kings I bought at basildon took ages to feed... never would..Ive finally got him feeding properly and the weight back on but now ive found out why... he cant seem to focus his strikes at the food... always misses and theyre really slow... theyre definitely not warning strikes.. so Im wondering if hes got a coordination problem... is that possible??

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Well little different buy we know that humans can lose balance when we have things like ear infections etc so I guess there might be a similar connection with a snake. Are you sure he's in tip top health??

Also I know that as snakes are heavily dependant on there sense of smell therefore can become disoriented dependant on certain smells? Don't know if that could be a factor?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's not BEST of health... he didn't feed for 2 months regardless of how I offered.. then just started taking again.. out of nowhere.. now eats everytime.. he did have mites a few weeks ago but they were fully treated and he is clear of them now... but weve noticed hes fully energetic etc but when it comes to his strikes he misses everytime.. strikes about 15 times before he gets it... Hannahs seen him feed so knows what Im on about.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
mmm...don seem like to much of a problem...maybe he has a coordenation problem, but it don seem like to much of a problem

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
To be honest then as long as he's now feeding fine I'd get him back to a good weight etc and see how he goes.. It could also be he has some damage to something that doesn't enable him to fix on a heat signature or scent correctly??

Someone maybe able to help a little more than that though!? :?

I know that when a Chameleon has an injured eye etc they can't focus on prey and will miss continuously

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its not just been recent.... its been since I got him that his strikes have been like this.. otherwise I would have put it down to eye damage... but I always used to think he was just fake striking to scare.... but obviously not... im just wondering it could cause problems in later life...

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Elaphe said:
maybe it would be easier to drop feed it?
He will only eat the mouse if its moving... wont touch it if its left in the tub.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I'm curious as to why you are convinced they aren't warning strikes as the way you have described them fits the bill for me.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can just tell theyre not... ive got a few kings who give me warning strikes and these are just done differently... i cant explain it.. i can just tell :lol:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Nah I'd agree, he just seems a bit unclear about what he's actually trying to do sometimes :?
He could just be a slow starter and pick up a bit when he's more had some more feeds - at least he's eating now!
Out of interest have you tried feeding the prey warmer than usual? He might find it a bit easier to guage if theres a bit more heat in it?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well we had just put more hot water in... so I dont think it can get any hotter :lol: :lol: but ill make sure its definitely warmer next time.. see if he does go for it.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
He doesn't have heat pits so that shouldn't make a lot of difference.

The fact he only eats something moving suggests he's just a slow starter, i'd try braining them all the time to increase the smell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts