Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2year old Horsefield, Marvin, used to be really active and would run around loads but recently he's just really inactive and sleeps all day under his lamp. He's still eating as usual, thats about the only thing he moves for.

Can anyone shed any light on his sudden change in character? Would appreciate all contributions...

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Can you tell us some more information lovey please? How do you keep him? Where does he live? Is he inside or outside? What sort of temps have you got? How old is he? Whats his diet? What supplements does he have? How long have you had him and where did you get him from?

The more information you can let people have the easier it may be for people to help hun and also can we see a pic of him cos we're nosey!!!

Ohhh and a big welcome to the forum :2thumb::lol2:

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
It sounds as though he is a little too hot.
What are the temps under his light?

·
Banned
483 Posts
My 2year old Horsefield, Marvin, used to be really active and would run around loads but recently he's just really inactive and sleeps all day under his lamp. He's still eating as usual, thats about the only thing he moves for.

Can anyone shed any light on his sudden change in character? Would appreciate all contributions...
If he is sleeping under his lamp, is it warm enough. He could be depressed due to living in unsuitable conditions. There are loads of possible explanations. Horsfield really come into their own outdoors so if he is living in a tank or somewhere that he cannot get a correct temp to function properly this could be the case. As others have said we need to know more about how you are keeping him really.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought him from a reputable online dealer in January. He lives in the box they supplied, which is about 6 inches high around the edges with a little area to sleep in at night. He's got a hot lamp which he basks under but he used to be really active and would climb alot.

We have moved house in the last 3 months, and the bulb went about a month ago and it seems to be since we replaced the bulb he's become more placid so he could be too hot, but i check the temperatures regulalry. He's been fine sice we moved house and generally up til the bulb went.

He's eating romain letture, kale and watercress regularly and has the nutrobal supplement.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey hun,
Horsefields really like to dig deep so its important to have a deep substrate - top soil is best. How big is the enclosure? Also did you get him from the tortoise shop? If you did are you sure he's 2 because i know someone who had one from there and it turned out to be 4 and so the enclosure they bought with him was way too small!

Also he needs weeds more than the salad and also needs calcium supplement more regularly than nutrobal.

Hope that helps xx

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I brought him from a reputable online dealer in January. He lives in the box they supplied, which is about 6 inches high around the edges with a little area to sleep in at night. He's got a hot lamp which he basks under but he used to be really active and would climb alot.

We have moved house in the last 3 months, and the bulb went about a month ago and it seems to be since we replaced the bulb he's become more placid so he could be too hot, but i check the temperatures regulalry. He's been fine sice we moved house and generally up til the bulb went.

He's eating romain letture, kale and watercress regularly and has the nutrobal supplement.

Hope that helps!
Are there any 'reputable' online dealers?
what are the dimensions of the 'box'? Has he a UV lamp aswell as the basking light?
if you check the temperatures regularly, what are they?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi :welcome: to the shelled section!

I'm really sorry but I don't know any reputable person that would supply a 6 inch deep box with a Horsfield tortoise - they like to dig around so much that even 18 inches would be shallow. I can imagine just how much they charged you for it aswell!

Your wee guy is probably just really unhappy with his surroundings right now, I suggest you take a look at Tortsmad.com ~ UK tortoise guides and Caresheets and see the difference. : victory:

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Hi ya lovey - first off have you taken the tortoise to the vets at all - it may well be an idea to take him and a sample of his poo to the vets for two reasons, first off for the vet to give him a quick check over and secondly to check his poo for any worms. Unfortunately some members have had problems with 'dealer' bought tortoises so it'd be best to get him checked over for peace of mind if nothing else love. Also make sure that the vet you go to is a reptile vet and has experience with tortoises.

Next point is that ideally he should be outside as much as possible every day if not allday every day. If you dont have a secure enclosure for him outside you really need to think about building something for him. You'd see a big difference in his behaviour Im sure if he was out in the fresh air and enjoying lots of natural light and basking in the sun.

Horsfields do like to dig about and tunnel and need nice deep soil to be able to act as naturally as possible. My Horsfield has about 9-10" depth of soil in his indoor table and about 3ft outside. I laid chicken wire ont he bottom of his outdoor enclosure and up the sides as they're reknown for digging so that keeps him safe.

In his indoor table he has a combined light which means it gives out UV as well as being a basking bulb. If your present bulb is NOT a combined one you will need to sort out a seperate UV either strip light or bulb for him. Lack of UV can have quite dangerous consequences later on in life for the little guy.

Do you know where the dealer got the tortoise from - did he/she tell you the Country of origin of the tortoise.

Diet wise Horsfields should be fed a balanced diet of weeds and flowers - there's a really good sticky at the top of the page which shows lots and lots of safe plants you can feed him. They should not be fed fruit at all and limited amounts of lettuce such as Romaine with a slice of cucumber every now and then to help with hydration. Also a bath every other day if he's about 2 in warm water for about 15-20 minutes would be great - this helps with hydration as tortoises can become quite dehydrated which can make them poorly.

As for supplements Nutrabol should be sprinkled daily on his food as per manufacturers instructions, cuttlefish needs to be available to him should he want to nibble and I also sprinkle Limestone Flour on food every few days. I feed mine apoorixmatley enough to cover his shell and I feed him 5 or 6 days out of 7.

I'm sure if you can make a few alterations to the husbandry and to his diet you'll find yourself with a happy and healthy tortoise lovey. It sounds like you were given some bad advice to start with but there's nothing that you cant put right for him : victory:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, cheers! I knew there was a fair bit to take in but that helps loads. Someone else suggested i get him wormed to be on the safe side so will def put that on the to do list.

And i did get him form the Tortoise Shop, they told me he was 2 & half yrs so will check that with vet too.

He tends to climb more than dig but would that be because its not deep enough? He digs when he's going to sleep though so its deeper in his little room.

I'll check UV/basking lamp out too, and the supplements.

Thanks everyone!!! :2thumb:

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
:2thumb: well done you - sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

As for his digging Mr Harries my Horsfield doesn't actually 'dig' bless him cos I think he's a bit dim but with lots of nice soil there he can learn to if and when he decides to :lol2:

If you can weigh and measure your little guy someone with more experience than me will be able to tell you approximately his age - also post up a few pics so we can all wave a welcome to him!!

When you measure him you measure the bottom part of his shell - easiest way to do it is to place a piece of paper square against the skirting board, put the torty on there and gently push him upto the skirting board/wall until his head goes in and his shell is on the wall - and then draw a little line across from one back leg to the other leaning the pen or pencil against his back shell - that way you should be able to get quite an accurate measurement.

I weigh and measure mine every month during the summer to just keep a check on them :2thumb:

·
Registered
105 Posts
My friend got a Hermann from a pet shop in Booker Bucks was told it was 1 year old, the vet said it was at least 3 years old.She paid £50 more than i did from a great breeder.I was like you i nearly got one from the tortoise shop,till i looked at this forum,it all looked so good tortoise table/lamp/food etc and tortoise at a discount price.They should be named and shamed these places.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Well lets be thankful that this little guy at least has gone to a fabulous hoe and that his new owners has found this website so she can make some alterations and he'l have a fab life. :2thumb:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
My friend got a Hermann from a pet shop in Booker Bucks was told it was 1 year old, the vet said it was at least 3 years old.She paid £50 more than i did from a great breeder.I was like you i nearly got one from the tortoise shop,till i looked at this forum,it all looked so good tortoise table/lamp/food etc and tortoise at a discount price.They should be named and shamed these places.
Why named and shamed? They are running a business which is legal. If people don't do their homework, and end up paying more than they need to, that's their own stupidity surely. It's the same if they are buying anything from a washing machine to a new car. Nobody would dream of going to the car sales place which had the best looking website, choosing a car and handing over money just because they had a pretty website and marketted themselves well. They would research the cars, look to see who was offering the best package, best prices and full back up and who had a good reputation.
The tortoise shop and other places rely on people to do no research and want an easy option. Look online, place an order for a 'kit' as it's easier than sourcing a good breeder, then finding everything they need from elsewhere.That takes effort after all.
Supermarket mentality is what I call it. It's why puppy scammers are so successful.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why named and shamed? They are running a business which is legal. If people don't do their homework, and end up paying more than they need to, that's their own stupidity surely. It's the same if they are buying anything from a washing machine to a new car. Nobody would dream of going to the car sales place which had the best looking website, choosing a car and handing over money just because they had a pretty website and marketted themselves well. They would research the cars, look to see who was offering the best package, best prices and full back up and who had a good reputation.
The tortoise shop and other places rely on people to do no research and want an easy option. Look online, place an order for a 'kit' as it's easier than sourcing a good breeder, then finding everything they need from elsewhere.That takes effort after all.
Supermarket mentality is what I call it. It's why puppy scammers are so successful.
Oh dear wish i hadn't said anything now,can't all be like you and know everything.I think you're very rude and not everybody is stupid ,she couldn't help getting her tort from that place,if she didn't know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before this gets out of hand, i believe i researched, i've realised the error of my ways and am now seeking advice, which i'm very grateful for!

I will be actively sourcing more local suppliers from now on though, purely through my own choice, not becuase of anything the tortoise shop have done. I found them to be very helpful, personally, but will seek reassurance with a vet.

First goal is to build him a bigger enclosure and improve his diet though, so thank you again everyone!

·
Registered
23,314 Posts

It must be very hard being so perfect all the time and having to put up with us people that makes mistakes.

I do think Fenwoman you could have got your point across in a slightly nicer manner. None of us are perfect and none of us are born knowing everything, hence we do make mistakes, we all make mistakes cos we're merely humans and its part of how we learn.

Yes of course in an ideal world everyone would buy a captive bred UK born tortoise but this world is NOT ideal is it.

Its up to us as keepers with a little more experience and maybe having been where the newer keepers are now to help and support newer owners instead of growling at them for doing something you disagree with. We all need some help and support at times so rather than put people off coming in here and asking lets try to encourage and educate people through kindness and support please.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its up to us as keepers with a little more experience and maybe having been where the newer keepers are now to help and support newer owners instead of growling at them for doing something you disagree with. We all need some help and support at times so rather than put people off coming in here and asking lets try to encourage and educate people through kindness and support please.
well said :2thumb:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts