Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this snake on a path near Winterfold in the Surrey Hills. It remained virtually stationary as I approached and for some time afterwards - at least 30 mins while I went home for my camera. It was at least three feet in length. Any ideas as to what it is?

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
are the rest of the snakes in surrey more identifiable?

pine snakes are big,bad predators... squirrels beware!:lol2:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
are the rest of the snakes in surrey more identifiable?

pine snakes are big,bad predators... squirrels beware!:lol2:
they have come over for OUR grey squeriels:lol2:

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
take it home... keep at room temp for a few days, to aclimatise... then put in viv/rub...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Pine we have a pair at college they are chatty little things always hiss but never strike ... love to come out and will glass dance if there is someone in the room till they get let out lol :lol2:

you should go catch it but it might be a tough feeder on frozzen if it has indeed been takein live

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
they have come over for OUR grey squeriels:lol2:
oh, they would eat 'em up too!... climb right into the nests and eat 'em all up!

too bad the climate isn't warm long enough to hatch eggs of snakes really... the squirrels would be gone.. but then... so would many other things... maybe it's a good thing about the climate... all these loose american snakes would take over... garters will be breeding there i predict... they get established and breed... then they'll push out the adders and grass snakes i'm afraid...

we got your lizards here living just fine from a few that escaped years ago... no ompact here with those guys... but beware of garters... they can live/thrive in the cities..

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
as has been said...its a northern pine snake, they can survive here if they find a good place to hibernate through the winter....i had an escapee baby bull from my clutch in may last year! someone found it on their path a couple of months back (this year) it was smaller than my keeper (its sibling) by about half...but was in perfect body condition and very healthy!....i took it, gave it a feed, it shed and then escaped again!....not seen it since :gasp::lol2:

·
Registered
385 Posts
looks just like my pine great snakes you should defo try and find it

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Great find there mate, let us know if you manage to re find and keep it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts