Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife saw a snake disapear down a hole at the base of the wall of our house today. She described it as about 2cms wide and at least 30cms long, she did not see the head but said that it was black with no coloured markings but it seemed to be ribbed like a car tyre. We have a large garden and regularly see grass snakes, so we know what they look like.
Has anybody any idea what this snake may be :?:
Would appreciate any thoughts you may have

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
There are very few all black snakes commonly kept in the UK, none of which are native species.
The most commonly kept all black snake is the mexican black kingsnake, there is also the black pine (though this is a large, heavy bodied snake). I cannot think of any that have this ribbed appearance though.

I assume you are in the UK? What area of the country are you in? Is there any way you can catch the snake? Perhaps a local member could come and assist you?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Unless it was a grass snake .. the head wasn't seen so you could have missed the collared neck.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Thats what I would be inclined to think too, though he does say that he sees lots of grass snakes and this isnt one.
The chances of seeing a non-native snake, especially when you already know there are grass snakes around, is quite remote.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe some adders are almost totally black, with the markings only just visible. And if this snake wasn't much more than 30cm long, and was 2cm wide, then it would maybe be the right build for one too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, we checked out the site suggested by mark 67123 and my wife said thats it !! as soon as she saw the picture of the common adder black.
Is this an uncommon occurrence in a Lincolnshire garden ?
We have a young child, how dangerous can this snake be. I understand that adders are venomous, but their bite will make you ill rather than kill you, have I got that right, I presume however that it may be more harmful to a young child.
Would appreciate any info on the subject.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts