Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I found some dead mites in two of my boas water bowls. There were about 20 dead mites in total. This is my first time with mites and I want to make sure I'm dealing with it properly.

What I've done so far:
Checked all 4 snakes, including chin flaps, belly scales, heat pits and cloacae. The only thing I found was a bump on the face under the eye of one of the boas, that I expect is a mite under the scales. None of the snakes seem to be showing any signs of stress and were all well behaved when I checked them.

I've removed all the substrate and decor from all 4 vivariums. I've only found mites in 2 of them, but all 4 vivariums are in the same room, so I'm going to assume they're all infested and treat them all at once. I binned the substrate, and all the decor is in a bin bag waiting to be sorted.

I left them with just their water bowls, they all have enough water to completely submerge.

I went to the pet shop, they had Zoo Med Mite Off, and Four Paws Nature's Reptile Protector. I had a good laugh at the ingredients on the Mite Off (carrot? orange pulp? onion powder? active ingredient: detergent? seriously WTF is any of that supposed to do to kill mites?), then bought a bottle of Protector (which claims to be used by herpetologists for the elimination of mites and recommended by veterinarians).

What I'm going to do:
I'm going to order a bottle of Callington's from the web, in case this treatment doesn't work, and so I have some ready if I get mites again in the future.

This evening I'm going to scrub and disinfect all the vivariums, making sure all debris is cleared from them. Then I'm going to treat the snakes and the vivariums as per the instructions on the bottle.

After they've been treated, and rinsed, I'm going to put the snakes back in, with just their water bowls (this mite treatment doesn't say anything about leaving the water bowls out, you rinse everything after application). I'm going to use newspaper as substrate for now.

I'll check them every day for mites, and retreat in the same way if I find any. If I don't see any mites for 2 weeks running, I'll replace the substrate and decor.

I'm going to treat the resin decor with the anti-mite spray. Any wooden decor that will fit in my freezer will be frozen for several days. Anything wooden that won't fit in my freezer will be binned.

Have I missed anything important?

Should I keep feeding them, or stop until the mites are gone?

Any tips and tricks from experience?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've never had to deal with mites yet but if I ever did I'd go straight to work with callingtons and ardap as my first option based on what I've read from others who've used it.

I did read one account which suggested putting all furnishings (except substrate, discard that) in a bin bag, giving it a shot of ardap then sealing the bag off.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I would treat them and their vivs once a week for 4 weeks and take the water bowls out for 24hrs after treatment. Good Luck Oh and they can be fed if you want.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did read one account which suggested putting all furnishings (except substrate, discard that) in a bin bag, giving it a shot of ardap then sealing the bag off.
It would be nice to be able to keep all the braches I have, but won't the treatment be absorbed by the wood? Is it safe to use it with traces of pesticide in them?

I would treat them and their vivs once a week for 4 weeks and take the water bowls out for 24hrs after treatment. Good Luck Oh and they can be fed if you want.
I see, don't wait for adult mites to become visible, just keep treating aggressivly so nothing in the mites life cycle has a chance of surviving. I'll do that. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It would be nice to be able to keep all the braches I have, but won't the treatment be absorbed by the wood? Is it safe to use it with traces of pesticide in them?
I'm not sure about the absorbancy thing tbh. I've read that Callingtons is snake friendly and people have used it on their snakes safely and to good effect so I doubt it would cause harm if you used it on your wood.

The Ardap however is not to be used on snakes so I really wouldn't use that on the wood either. There's plenty of threads kicking about with all the top info... have a browse.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on the situation. When I had a mite attack over the Summer I ran any furnishings that would fit through the dishwasher inc chunks of wood, then kept them out of the vivs for a good 6 wks till I was sure they were clear. I also used white kitchen paper as substrate so I could check the adult body count and replaced it daily, sometimes twice a day!

Good luck. Callingtons is good but it may take a few applications!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts