Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a leopard gecko, she weighs 40g. She has not got an incredibly thin tail, but it it's not as fat as it should be (she is 1-2 years old). To describe her, I would say she looks aerodynamic, rather thin on the body. You can see she's rather boney around her shoulders. She is not interested in food, I wouldn't usually do this, but because I am concerned about her I have been force feeding her a few nutrobal dusted crickets and some wax worms to help her gain weight, as she has no interest in food. I have also given her warm baths with reptiboost (rinsing it off after). And another problem is her eyes, they are closed most the time, as though they are sore, I have bathed them with warm slightly salted water to clean them, and then she opens them and seems ok. They're isn't any shed skin caught in them as far as I can tell, they don't actually look bad tbh just like she can't open them. I have also added calcium drop to the water just to make sure she's getting calcium, though I have never seen her drink. She doesn't appear to have MBD and haven't noticed any irregular looking stools. It's her weight, appetite and eyes that concern me. She stands quite properly and isn't limp but isn't as feisty as she should be. I am desperate to get her to a decent size and make her better but I am not sure what to do. I have seen in America a company called flukers make critical care formula, but can't find it here (google it if you have no idea what it is) if you know what this is, is it worth buying? Is there anything else I can do for her eyes? Any help anyone can give me on this matter would be hugely appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
sounds like u r worried sick ! id advise u take a trip to the vets or if u have a good reptile shop locally take her there for an opinion they r usually prepared to help and have often seen a lot of different conditions even if they just point u in the direction of a good herp vet a second opinion helps u to b objective about things . if the vet is concerned about weight loss they may advise u feed carnicare (a tinned food for dogs/cats primarily) im not advising that just saying it is something they advocate in some circumstances. my leo used to go off food a little during the winter months but thats just the way she is . i hope she is ok and u feel happier soon good luck :)

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,608 Posts
Firstly can I ask what temperature the FLOOR is on the warm side of the viv?
How long have you had her?
Does she share the viv with any other Leos?
What foods have you tried?
What substrate is she on?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I'll try the cool tea bag idea. She isn't that bad, just a bit thin.. And her eyes of course. I'm tempted to take her to the vet, but I want to see if there is anything I can do for her first. Like I said, I've only had her a few days. I know critical care formula by vet ark is for birds mostly, the one by flukers is for reptiles. Any advice on that?

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
Firstly can I ask what temperature the FLOOR is on the warm side of the viv?
How long have you had her?
Does she share the viv with any other Leos?
What foods have you tried?
What substrate is she on?
The questions Jools has asked are very relevent and may possibly give some indication of areas that may need a little bit of adjustment to help your gecko. To be honest, I wouldnt attempt to assist or force feed the animal until you know exactly what the underlying problem is. If the gut function is compromised it could make any underlying problem far worse if you push food into it. You say you have recently aquired the animal. It can take several weeks for an animal to begin to eat as the move to its new home will have caused a thing called 'relocation stress'. Assist / force feeding is very stressful to the animal and is likely to be counter productive. I know the idea of bulking up with waxies sounds a reasonable option but they really arent a good thing for a compromised gut. Regarding the eyes I wouldnt use tea. Simple cooled boiled water will suffice. However if your gecko is one of the albino strains it may simply be a case of it finds opening its eyes in the light is painful. Regarding the CCF, the vetark CCF although initially formulated for avian problems is fine for reptiles.

I would suggest that you give us details of your setup etc to see if anything there could be adjusted. Hold off on the force feeding and minimise handling. It sounds like a check by a herp experienced vet would be useful and it would be wise to get a poop sample checked for parasites etc. As there is a hint of an underlying problem it is very wise to continue quarantining it and be aware that if it has anything nasty you need to ensure it isnt transmitted to any other reps you own. Good luck with things and I hope it isnt too long before your animals in tip top condition.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts