Reptile Forums banner

Unsure of how its happened.

332 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Mozart 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I've checked on my male leo today after finishing a set of night shifts and found that he hadn't finished his shed (which is not uncommon), that doesn't worry me to much as its a common occurrance, even with a moist hide. But I've noticed at the end of his tail has turned rather red, I've got him out and checked him over and can't see any cuts or bruising, also there's no skin around the tail, so bit puzzled as to what it is.

I've cleaned him in warm salty water and put some Tamodine on it, I've checked the vets hours and they are unfortunately closed, so a visit tomorrow will have to be in order, which I'll ring for at first hours.

Anyone got any ideas of what else I can do in the mean time?

#3 ·
I wonder if he has been a bit aggressive with his shed and caoused himself an injury.......
I believe you have done the right thing with keeping it clean, maybe someone with more knowledge will come along soon.
Good luck at the vets tomorrow and keep us posted. Hope your little Dude is OK :)

#6 ·
Ive had Oz for 8 years now, and up until last November we never had issues.
Then he went and I suspect now, bit his tail causing a nasty scab.
I personally think it could be due to the fact he never slept over the brum period and is now a little cranky.

#7 ·
Just a quick update really.

I've just come back from my vets in Maidstone, and its not good news.
Ozzy has developed an infection under the skin and its beyond salvaging. Hence the redding at his tip.
As a result he's staying at the vets for the morning / early afternoon for an emergency amputation of half his tail.

I feel gutted and like I've let my little man down :bash::cussing::bash:. First time in 8 years that something like this has happened and I should have spotted it earlier.
Im just praying that he will be alright and make it through the sedataion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.