Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say 'unusual' but this may be a common technique that I simply haven't come across yet. Anyways, I was talking to a guy in a reptile shop today who said that whenever he has a problem feeder, he removes their water bowl for two days, and then defrosts the food item(s) in some water before attempting to feed the snake. Apparently, it has never failed him, with the theory that a thirsty snake will consume the prey to alleviate its thirst.

Has anyone ever tried this and, if so, did it work? Also, am I just being soft for being hesitant to try this? I just don't like the idea of depriving my snake of water (I know it's only two days, but still...)?

Please let me know of your opinions and experiences with this.

Peace,
Craig

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
i've never tried it myself but i've heard from a couple people that it does work, i can see the logic in it and if your snake wont eat going without water for two days and then taking a meal would be an improvement in my eyes.

someone more knowledgable will be able to give me advice

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i tryed this on my 4 baby non feeder corns yesterday and it worked for me.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I dont like this method, if you have a snake already emaciated due to lack of food or that is a small hatchling the last thing it needs is to be dehydrated .

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I dont like this method, if you have a snake already emaciated due to lack of food or that is a small hatchling the last thing it needs is to be dehydrated .
Not an expert myself, and I do have a problem Royal Python. But this answer was exactly the thoughts that ran through my head.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That makes sense to me. Mine is an 07 Royal (surprise, surprise!) that hasn't fed for about 5 weeks, but he hasn't lost any significant weight, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad an idea to try at this stage.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Works very well on hognose snakes although I find you don't have to remove the water bowl as mine are so stupid they only actually drink from theirs when I dunk their heads in the water!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I've heard it works, understand why people don't like the idea though. 5 weeks for a 3 year old royal is nothing though, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes my snakes don't eat for nearly that long just because I haven't fed them, if they had a particularly big feed the last time, for example!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Works very well on hognose snakes although I find you don't have to remove the water bowl as mine are so stupid they only actually drink from theirs when I dunk their heads in the water!
Not wanting to start an argument but that sounds a bit cruel, if a snake wants to drink it will drink, i have only ever seen my snakes drink once or twice, you have to remember that
they dont need as much water as people, anyone else agree with me here:whistling2:

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Not wanting to start an argument but that sounds a bit cruel, if a snake wants to drink it will drink, i have only ever seen my snakes drink once or twice, you have to remember that
they dont need as much water as people, anyone else agree with me here:whistling2:
lmao i really love how theres always someone wanting to start tiny arguements over such silly things.

when i've had my snakes out i put them back in via the water dish and funnilly enough, they stop to drink EVERY time, so i found the above statement hilarious

·
Registered
5,589 Posts

strictleymorelia's a bit of a newbie mate he's not had snakes very long :whistling2:

cheers shaun

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I have gotten LOADS of non feeders feeding using this method....its been used well over 70 years....some old books date back to it being used in zoos well over 100 years.

Its not really bad at all...if a snake was that bad and malnourished then you wouldnt be risking getting it feeding at that stage still with strike feeding...you would have taken much more serious action at this stage...snakes can got weeks without water as its been proven many times....i believe the maders reports said a royal can last 52 days with water or food. so a few days for a healthy non feeder isnt anything life threatening at all.

Often this isnt going to be used on a snake thats half dead now....its to be used on healthy non feeders and yes it does work and no it doesnt harm them as your not depriving them of water for long enough for it to be an issue....

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I tried allsorts to get one of mine feeding once and this was the only thing that worked. The snake was a young hatchiling retic. Didnt even have to take the water out, just dip the animals head in water and that did the trick for some reason.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have gotten LOADS of non feeders feeding using this method....its been used well over 70 years....some old books date back to it being used in zoos well over 100 years.

Its not really bad at all...if a snake was that bad and malnourished then you wouldnt be risking getting it feeding at that stage still with strike feeding...you would have taken much more serious action at this stage...snakes can got weeks without water as its been proven many times....i believe the maders reports said a royal can last 52 days with water or food. so a few days for a healthy non feeder isnt anything life threatening at all.

Often this isnt going to be used on a snake thats half dead now....its to be used on healthy non feeders and yes it does work and no it doesnt harm them as your not depriving them of water for long enough for it to be an issue....
Great info. Can you tell me how long exactly you have the water removed before attempting a feeding?

Thanks,
Crags

·
Registered
14,291 Posts

fair enough if thats the way you want to do things, how ever Its not a method I recommend .
Thats the thing with reptile keeping though there are many ways of doing things, does not make them wrong that some chose some ways and some chose others.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.