Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, in my quest to gain as many types of snails for pets, I found an American website which sells Decollate Snails (Rumina decollata).

These are sold in California and Texas for the purpose of Helix sp control in the garden. For this reason, they must not, ever, be released into the wild in the UK. I'm unsure as to whether they should really even be shipped outside of those 2 states, but the website allows me to choose international delivery and continue through checkout.

So, I thought I might try it :)

I can get them in quantities of 50 or 100, depending on how many people would be interested. The minimum quantity available to order is 50, which is way too many for me alone, hence this post :)

These can't be kept with any other snail species, and would require their very own tank. Go Google them for pics. I think they look cute :)

Let me know by posting on here (easier for my list than PMs) if you would be interested, and how many you would like. Prices will be very reasonable, as they are cheap themselves, but the international delivery is what's going to hurt!

I'm not sure yet when I'd order them, but will keep all those interested updated. When I know how many people want, I can then give a price which will include delivery to you.

Ta! :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I can see this having bad consequences...

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see this having bad consequences...
Why? If people are interested in collecting different pet snails, they are sensible enough not to do anything stupid. Consequences could potentially be just as bad with GALS.

These are very nice snails, very interesting to watch, i have some coming in within the next few weeks
Ah, how much would you be selling for including P&P? I may just get some from you, if that's okay :) Not had much interest with this post so far, and I don't want 50!

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all depends on the prices and p+P:notworthy:
Absolutely :) Going to give this thread a little time, until I know if enough people would be interested, cos the international shipping quote I'm getting is over $100! But the snails themselves are only $15 for 100! So, if I do order them to sell on to enough people, they would be cheap. I'm not looking for any profit, just to break even so I'm not out of pocket. Simply cos I don't want that many for myself!

As I said, I don't know if they should be shipped outside USA, but the website allows me to process an international order. Although, may be the case that after it's processed, I get an email saying 'sorry...'

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Ah, how much would you be selling for including P&P? I may just get some from you, if that's okay :) Not had much interest with this post so far, and I don't want 50![/quote]

Not sure yet, depends on the final costs, once they are through the airport

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure yet, depends on the final costs, once they are through the airport
Cool, well let me know once you know. If you're planning to post on these classifieds I won't miss it, I check every day!

I'd be likely to take a pair once costs have been calculated : victory:
Fab. Based on some very very rough maths (the kind of maths which doesn't actually involve doing any real sums!) I'm thinking that the cost would be no more than a couple of pound (if even that much). That would include postage as well. That's if there's enough interest to warrant me ordering such a large amount. Maximum I'd want for myself would be 10. So I would need to find homes for a minimum of 40!

Like I said, genuinely am not looking for profit, just to break even :)

Thanks for all replies so far though peeps

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A big bump to end the day

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
They are stunning , I take it youre checking they can be imported ok... be a shame for them to get stopped at the airport

My agent at heathrow covers all of the legal bits, with defra customs and excise etc, they will be coming in with the next lot of royal morphs and leos

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
My agent at heathrow covers all of the legal bits, with defra customs and excise etc, they will be coming in with the next lot of royal morphs and leos
oh.. i thought the girl from scotland was importing...

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
oh.. i thought the girl from scotland was importing...
I think we are both looking at them, thing is the carriage is somwhat expensive if you only want a few but i have a lot of Europeans interested so will get enough for anyone that wants them, and i might be able to combine the postage with all my other bits

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The shell of the decollate snail is long and roughly cone-shaped. It grows to approximately 40 mm in length, and upon reaching mature size, grinds or chips off the end of its own shell by moving its body roughly against hard surfaces, so that the shell takes on a decollate shape, tapering to a blunt end.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts