Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my Mantids have the complete lid as ventilation but still i noticed last night that there is mold growing on the coir substrate. Would it pay to use 100% vermiculite?

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
yeh thats the sort of stuff I use, I dont know why its going mouldy you could try changing the substrate or maybe its too wet.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Maybe im misting to much. Think i will change to vermiculite to be honest : victory:
i use coco houmus in everything and have never seen mould develop on it, i was told that it couldnl'nt harbour mould spores or somthing. I use in in with my frogs as well which are saturated in water and are very warm and i still dont get mould in the substraite, i've seen it develop on plants but never the substraite.

If thats any help
Jay

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i use coco houmus in everything and have never seen mould develop on it, i was told that it couldnl'nt harbour mould spores or somthing. I use in in with my frogs as well which are saturated in water and are very warm and i still dont get mould in the substraite, i've seen it develop on plants but never the substraite.

If thats any help
Jay
Yeah cheers Jay, i must be doing something wrong :(

I'll get it right hopefully!! Probably stock up on Vermiculite

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Yeah cheers Jay, i must be doing something wrong :(

I'll get it right hopefully!! Probably stock up on Vermiculite
#

you mixing vermiculate in with the coir?? that could be your problem.

And how often are u misting??

Jay

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I wouldnt say it is, I used to do a 50/50 coir and vermiculite for some spiders never had any problems, I know of lots more people that do as well

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I dont mix mine just us staight coco houmus, and i've never had a problem, but mixing shouldn't be a problem. The misting sounds fine as well.

*Ponders* i've no idea then mate, the only thing i can think of is the venterlation.

Jay

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont mix mine just us staight coco houmus, and i've never had a problem, but mixing shouldn't be a problem. The misting sounds fine as well.

*Ponders* i've no idea then mate, the only thing i can think of is the venterlation.

Jay
Yeah its got to be the ventilation. What temp is best for them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The mould will be growing on faecal matter, not the substrate. Mantis droppings get mouldy if not removed, especially if moist and warm. Ditto with cricket droppings or bits of food which the mantis has dropped. Just pick out bits which are growing mould, and make sure that in future you remove faeces every few days.

The mould is probably not harmful to the mantis, but since there are many moulds which could potentially be growing it's best not to take chances. If it is definitely not the poo, try taking a photo of where the mould is growing so I can give more specific help.

Also, there is no reason why ventilation could cause mould, unless you have your mantids ventilated by a badly maintained industrial air conditioner!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The mould will be growing on faecal matter, not the substrate. Mantis droppings get mouldy if not removed, especially if moist and warm. Ditto with cricket droppings or bits of food which the mantis has dropped. Just pick out bits which are growing mould, and make sure that in future you remove faeces every few days.

The mould is probably not harmful to the mantis, but since there are many moulds which could potentially be growing it's best not to take chances. If it is definitely not the poo, try taking a photo of where the mould is growing so I can give more specific help.

Also, there is no reason why ventilation could cause mould, unless you have your mantids ventilated by a badly maintained industrial air conditioner!
Great info mate :no1:

Will look out for the poo then, i removed the mould and there hasnt been any re-growth since :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts