Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as u might no i was trying to get the retained eye cap off well iv had no luck so far and he has now become el bastardo (used to let me pick him up now just strikes for fun ) so im going to leave him now for a few weeks to calm down and hopefully it will come off with next shed and he might have calmd down then.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
did u try puttin him in a damp pillow case and leavin him in a warm area to up the humidity...this was recommended to me and it has worked wonders xx

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah iv tried that also the cotton bud ,soaking for 20mins in a tub non of it has worked just got him real cranky.its been on for a while as it looks like its reatached to the skin.

was thiking about moving him from the wooden viv to a plastic 35ltr tub so i can keep the humidity real high. and let him do what he wants and see if that works.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Are you 110% certain that it is retained? Because usually a retained eyecap comes off with a bit of moisture, and if this hasnt come off...

Hmmm...if its definately retained, then all you can do is either keep trying, or wait till he sheds again and see if it comes off then. If he is getting stressed with you poking at his eye leave him alone for a while, to be honest, the stress is more likely to cause more damage than a retained eyecap. But if you keep trying to pull it off and its as dry as you say, you could really be damaging his eye underneath. He should come into shed again soon, as skin problems usually induce a shed early.

Try leaving a moist hide in its tank if there isnt one already. A tub with a hole in the top, filled with sphagnum moss works a treat. This should have been done in the first place, but obviously, that isnt your fault as he wasnt in your care when he shed.

Hope everything turns out alright :lol:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just leaving him now to get on with it hopefully will come off with next shed if not then will seek help .

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sounds like you've done all you can for the moment, and if he's getting stressed then best to leave him for a bit.

Good idea to keep him humidity up until the next shed - not sure if they're prone to scale rot, but keep an eye on his belly in the meantime, just in case. As long as the floor of the tub isn't damp/wet he should be ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts