Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
She Ra, Mastress of the Universe
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took her to the vets today, went to C J Hall.

They gave her a calcium shot and tube fed her liquids with sugars and ectocytes (sp?). And sent me home with some shots of oxytocin, which I'm half way through the process of giving to her. The first shot that i gave hasn't seemed to have an effect, but hopefully the second will.

Half the responces i got on my last thread scared the poop out of me, but i feel reassured now as that seemed to be a bit of an over reaction.

So here's hoping for the best :)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Awww good luck, I hope she manages to pass the eggs ok.
Dawn

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Good luck! What an ordeal youve been having. Hope she is ok : victory:

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no good news...

Well the next day update includes:

she hasn't passed anything :(
i don't know how long i supposed to wait til it's a definate no success, but considering oxytocin is a hormone in humans it has an immediate affect, and doesn't last long (like adrenalin). so i'll give the vet a call tomoro and see whats next on the board. i'm gessing the expensive operation as there's no point in going for a second round of oxytocin if it hasn't worked first time.

i'll keep on with the updates...

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Well the next day update includes:

she hasn't passed anything :(
i don't know how long i supposed to wait til it's a definate no success, but considering oxytocin is a hormone in humans it has an immediate affect, and doesn't last long (like adrenalin). so i'll give the vet a call tomoro and see whats next on the board. i'm gessing the expensive operation as there's no point in going for a second round of oxytocin if it hasn't worked first time.

i'll keep on with the updates...
Hiya,

The Oxytocin should have taken effect within the first hour (possibly second) after you administered it. It may take a couple shots to have any effect.
Don't look at the op to quickly. Sometimes massaging can help pass the eggs along the ova duct. How far along are the eggs? Or rather how far from the vent?

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya,

The Oxytocin should have taken effect within the first hour (possibly second) after you administered it. It may take a couple shots to have any effect.
Don't look at the op to quickly. Sometimes massaging can help pass the eggs along the ova duct. How far along are the eggs? Or rather how far from the vent?
yea, i figured the oxytocin had failed completely, as i'd given her 3 over a period of 12 hours. that was a waste of £80...

i'm going to give her another bath today, and try the massaging idea.

the eggs and right at her vent (just before it) for about 5 inches, with a couple a few inches further up.

i called the vets today and i'm going to go back in the morning, and they've said the operation is the next step to take. though when i get there i am going to ask about aspiration.

she still seems alert and active, i bet she doesn't even bloody realise she hasn't layed all her eggs. lol.

as always i'll keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It doesn't surprise me at all :( I did say oxytocin rarely works. As for aspiration in my experience it needs to be done in the first 48 hours or so otherwise the egg contents go too thick too draw up the syringe.
I hope your snake is ok, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Well she went to the vets this morning, she's having the operation. it's gona cost up to £400 :( alot more than i expected it would be, but then what choice do i have...

they're going to call me when it's all done.

i'm really worried :(
I have had the same thing happen twice sadly :(

The oxytocin worked on one of the snakes but it retained 1 egg, so both snakes ended up having the op. The cost of each operation was £200 not £400 & i also used C J Hall :?
I ended up spending around £300+ per snake with all the oxytocin & calcium injections etc ontop

Both of my snakes are doing well & the stiches are looking good.

Just keep the enclosure dry & clean, i would house the snake on papertowl & provide a small waterdish, also if the snake is co-housed i would keep her alone :)

Good luck & keep us updated : victory:

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had the same thing happen twice sadly :(

The oxytocin worked on one of the snakes but it retained 1 egg, so both snakes ended up having the op. The cost of each operation was £200 not £400 & i also used C J Hall :?
I ended up spending around £300+ per snake with all the oxytocin & calcium injections etc ontop

Both of my snakes are doing well & the stiches are looking good.

Just keep the enclosure dry & clean, i would house the snake on papertowl & provide a small waterdish, also if the snake is co-housed i would keep her alone :)

Good luck & keep us updated : victory:
Dr Hall said £400 worst case sceonario. But my female has retained at least 5 eggs, and they're not all together, so she may have to have more than one insicion. hence the high price, though i am hoping it won't end up being so much.

and i only paid £80 for the first consultation and calcium shot, tube feed and oxyticin shots. and thankfully he didn't charge me for another consult when i dropeed her off this morning.

ill have to sort out her tank before she gets home, i still have wood chip in there. should i take her moist box out?

i never dreamed this would happen... what a thing to happen for a first time breeding eh?

thanks for all the support everyone.
i'll post again when she get home.

:)

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Not to throw the cat into the pigeon loft but if eggs are very close to the vent, a good vet could massage it out or even further along.
My female (who laid up this season) had 4 bound. Two passed with Oxytocin. One which stayed at the vent was massaged along and out. The final egg worked on now. You should ask your vet. Ops are usually a very last resort.

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to throw the cat into the pigeon loft but if eggs are very close to the vent, a good vet could massage it out or even further along.
My female (who laid up this season) had 4 bound. Two passed with Oxytocin. One which stayed at the vent was massaged along and out. The final egg worked on now. You should ask your vet. Ops are usually a very last resort.
the ops been done now, going to go pick her up now.

there were 6 eggs in there and they were stuck to the membrane and as she was a little bit tubby that caused the problem as well.

but everything went well, and shes ok.
and the final cost is £224, :)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Sorry to hear she had to have an op, Glad its all over now though. Hope she recovers ok.
Dawn

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Happy but Peeved...

Well I brought her home today, and she's in a nice sterile home. I have injections for her as well for the next few days (pain relief and antibiotics). She has a 3inch gash on her side, and it doesn't look very nice or neat :(

It turned out she had 6 eggs in there, Dr Hall did kep them for me, he said 3 were definately not vaible, but it was only when i was on the train back home that i realised he forgot to give me the other 3.... never mind.

And last night when the vet cll he said total cost would be £224 (as i mentioned before), but i got in there today and it was £415!!! Which was higher than his 'worst case scenario' figure, so i had a few words with him about that, as i was not very pleased. So i'm now not getting charged for any checkups, and he will give me a discount on the next problem if and when it arrises...

But all in all, i have my little baby back and all looks good. So i've had a little sigh of relief.

Thanks for all you advice, help and support everyone.
I'll post some picks up soon, after she's had a good rest.

Thanks again,
Ella
x

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Very expensive corn snake you have there now lol
Glad she's ok though, oxytocin is more successful for animals like Turtles and torts.. who rarely need more than one shot, Lizards tend to need a few shots and sometimes then it doesn't work.. and I guess snakes are similar.

·
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very expensive corn snake you have there now lol
Glad she's ok though, oxytocin is more successful for animals like Turtles and torts.. who rarely need more than one shot, Lizards tend to need a few shots and sometimes then it doesn't work.. and I guess snakes are similar.
i was told by the vets that the order of effectiveness goes as follows:

Tortioses & Turtles - effective
Lizards - not so effective (bit hit and miss)
Snakes - more uneffective (more miss than hit)

If she ever binds again I'm just going to skip the oxytocin, as i know it won't work with her.

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts