Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone :)
Just thought I'd post an update on her/his progress. Okay so heres the story for those who didn't know:
7 month olf flapneck chameleon got bitten/scratched by a cricket on his head between his eyes :( owwie.
So I monitered it for a week (i know probably a bit too long but i had no money untill today)
it got bigger to the size of a pea cut in half and stuck on his head.
He went off his food but still drank bucket loads! seriosly I never knew a chameleon could drink that much lol.

So today I took him to the vets and told him the story - He was really nice about it and said it was a good idea to monitor it so I knew what had happened and if it got bigger.
He said I was definately right about it being an abscess so he took him to the little theatre room at the back for a couple of mins and cut a tiny hole and squeezed it all out.
He came back with him and showed me what he had squeezed out - There was loads! it was on a cotton bud and it was almost solid. a very yellow/green colour. Lovely I know.
The vet said it bled a little so be careful of his head for an hour as the cream stops the cut from bleeding.
He gave me diluted anti-biotics as he is so light it would be easy to overdose it so he diluted it for me and gave me two syringes so administer it orally.
it goes orange on contact with skin so you can see if its been swallowed or spat out.

The bill came to less than £30! including the medication + seeing the vet. that was pretty amazingly cheap. think it was rougly £25 as I bought a new heat bulb at the same time.
but the vet was so nice and he said he has a chameleon so he treated him well and was even talking to him haha.

The vet also said if it was left any longer the puss could have gone solid and been aborbed back into the body causing more health problems and even death.
So I would advise anybody with a chameleon that has an abscess to go to the vet asap! would you really want all that puss and germs going round your chameleons body? :whip:

So Merlin is on the mend :) wish him luck

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Afternoon everyone :)
Just thought I'd post an update on her/his progress. Okay so heres the story for those who didn't know:
7 month olf flapneck chameleon got bitten/scratched by a cricket on his head between his eyes :( owwie.
So I monitered it for a week (i know probably a bit too long but i had no money untill today)
it got bigger to the size of a pea cut in half and stuck on his head.
He went off his food but still drank bucket loads! seriosly I never knew a chameleon could drink that much lol.

So today I took him to the vets and told him the story - He was really nice about it and said it was a good idea to monitor it so I knew what had happened and if it got bigger.
He said I was definately right about it being an abscess so he took him to the little theatre room at the back for a couple of mins and cut a tiny hole and squeezed it all out.
He came back with him and showed me what he had squeezed out - There was loads! it was on a cotton bud and it was almost solid. a very yellow/green colour. Lovely I know.
The vet said it bled a little so be careful of his head for an hour as the cream stops the cut from bleeding.
He gave me diluted anti-biotics as he is so light it would be easy to overdose it so he diluted it for me and gave me two syringes so administer it orally.
it goes orange on contact with skin so you can see if its been swallowed or spat out.

The bill came to less than £30! including the medication + seeing the vet. that was pretty amazingly cheap. think it was rougly £25 as I bought a new heat bulb at the same time.
but the vet was so nice and he said he has a chameleon so he treated him well and was even talking to him haha.

The vet also said if it was left any longer the puss could have gone solid and been aborbed back into the body causing more health problems and even death.
So I would advise anybody with a chameleon that has an abscess to go to the vet asap! would you really want all that puss and germs going round your chameleons body? :whip:

So Merlin is on the mend :) wish him luck

Glad to hear he is on the mend and a major :2thumb: for the vet. £30 nice. An exotic consult is £45 at mine!

Reactions: Emma-leigh-x
1 - 2 of 2 Posts