Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for a royal's skin to go a slightly orangy brown andpinkish down by the tail colour underneath when it is due to shed as my royal's skin is starting to feel a bit flakey and on his underbelly it has gone the above mentioned colour???

He seems content and alert enough with plenty of tongue flicking and very explorative so I don't think it is anything to worry about but thought I better make sure

[/url]

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
dont want 2 scare you but this sounds like what my royal had please get it checked as i thought he was just shedding and left it (BIG MISTAKE) hissyended up with a really nasty infection due 2 mites and being a bad shed ended up on 9 days worth of injections and bathed twice daily so please take him/her to a vets and get it checked hopefully it will be nothing and as im not an expert im not sure i can really advise only it rung a few alarm bells due to the experiance i had

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You say it is going flaky, has it shed or is it going to shed ?
As my blonde pastel (Royal Python) had thus after shed so kept an eye on it and it turned into scale rot, it looked like the pic you just showed, get it to a vet asap if i were you, mine is on 3 weeks worth of injections, and being bather 2 times a day and cream applied to the sore area. If you need a speaclist, i can reccomend a good one :D
PM me if need be.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would get it to a vet ASAP, i dealt with one who had burns on his belly and at least two old skins on him but the owner never noticed ?!! It started off the same as yours.We got cream and antibiotics for him and he fine now,got a nice home.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Is it pinkish all along its underside? This is normally a sign of going into shed. The eyes will also turn a cloudy, blue color and shedding will happen within a few days. Difficult with a pic but it looks like the color mine goes before shed - but if you're at all worried take it to a vet or a herp person you trust.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Firstly many thanks for all the advice and help given.

I am taking him to the vets tomorrow for a check up as there are a couple of scales on his underbelly that I am stiill concerned about even though he is in shed and his eyes have gone cloudy and blue.

I will update you tomorrow on the outcome and hopefully all my concerns about scale rot etc can be dismissed.

Thanks again everyone and its really appreciated that I can come on here and get good advice from you all and been made very welcome.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I wouldnt recommend you take him to a vet whilst hes in shed, he will be very stressed as it is (snakes feel very vulnerable in shed) and a trip to the vets will only exacerbate this.
Once he has shed reevaluate his belly, you will probably find that the odd scales have been shed and he is fine. If not, arrange to have him looked at.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I apprecite the advice about not taking him to the vets but I am really concerned about the couple of scales that have gone black across the edges and have brownish lines going up them and didn't really want it to get any worse if there is a problem!!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
i agree with PendleHog, i don't think its a good idea until after his shed to take him to the vet, if you do this it could stress him out even more and he may have a crap shed.

i would wait till after his shed and you could be wasting your money anyway because it could be nothing and dissapear once he sheds.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
The main thing for me is that I suspect the bad scales will go once the snake has shed.
If you are really worried though by all means take him to be looked at - I am not a vet and have not seen the snake in person! I usually tell people to trust their instinct on things like this, at the end of the day you know your animals better than anyone else.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
He should shed within a few days at most once his eyes have cleared - and the odd scales with him. I agree with the others that a vet visit could be stressful - shedding is a bit of a stressful time for them already anyway, they normally hide away quite a bit more.

Hey, Pendlehog, do you breed hoggies by any chance? I'm looking into starting breeding next year and thought to start with hoggies as my female is of breeding age.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Yep I do breed hogs (or did up until this year), if you want to know anything or just have a bit of a chat about them feel free to PM me whenever you want :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts