Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have somone on preloved i been talking to for a while and he is selling 17 baby beardies ( hes a breeder ) and he is selling one for £25 and lives round the corner.

And i WAS about to buy one until i said i can buy a UVB bulb tomorrow morning and he goes

"25 for one 40 for two can you let me know asap please and you don't need a UVB bulb I don't use them and mine are all fine "

he doesnt use UVB at all?! If i brought a baby and put it on UVB straight away would i be risking something like a dieing baby beardie?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
you defo need a uvb bulb for your beardie. my beardies bulb blew so i went to our local pet shop and he didnt have any in but told me to go to another pet shop asap and get one, it helps with bone growth etc

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but would i be ok buying this baby?? :p

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The £25 for one and two for £40 says a lot too, I interpret that as "I'm not really bothered if you end up with 2 fighting beardies later on down the line or if you have a female that gets repeatedly gravid and highly likely at an age or size that's not ready for it, just want them out of the way. By time you have problems it's not my problem anymore". :bash:

Well if he's around the corner, you can always go and look and see if they look healthy enough, if they do look good and you're getting a UV tube anyway I can't see the great issue. If they are very young it won't be like they've been without UV for a year or so, therefore as long as it has UV from now on you *should* be OK. As I say, have a look at them first and DON'T buy two!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay guys,

well i wanted to get them cos maybe i cud look after them n give them a better life. i only wanted one cos of the vivarium, And ive got one in the other vivarium anyway.

I would love to buy it but im confused if i shud or not.. thanks for the answers guys.

£25 is to cheap for a beardie tho is it?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I know it is tempting due to the price and the convenience of him being so close, but I wouldnt risk it.

Those babies look very lathargic and mostly all have the eyes shut or semi shut.

I got my beardie from another breeder in my area for £20 and they had the correct set up (UV etc).

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i can personally say -

I love reptiles, Lizards, all animals. I look after them to the edge of my ability. And i will buy one of these beardies cos i feel bad for it :/ and i will raise it and look after it. and b a good owner.

Thank you for all your lovely helpful replies. I will stick a UVB in there tomorrow. Should i let it sleep now? or put heat on for a while?

·
Registered
722 Posts
well i can personally say -

I love reptiles, Lizards, all animals. I look after them to the edge of my ability. And i will buy one of these beardies cos i feel bad for it :/ and i will raise it and look after it. and b a good owner.

Thank you for all your lovely helpful replies. I will stick a UVB in there tomorrow. Should i let it sleep now? or put heat on for a while?
although you've done an amazing thing by helping the little critter its bad in some ways if u think about it, you giving that person 25 pound just eggs him on to breed more. if nobody bought them from him, then he'd stop cos hed be out of money from feeding them.

good luck with he/she anyways =] get some picutres up when you can x

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
i thought they looked abit dark tbh :s

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah your right kath kinda feel bad now lol cant win either way.

but yeah the little beardie seems fine, No marks, No bites nothing bad body wise.

He seems very settled at the moment ( guess cos its 2:34) am. hes also currently sleeping standing up on the glass, I will publish pictures soon not sure how to do it on the forum without links?

I am putting a uvb light in there tomorrow, Yeah he is dark but i like dark ones, they look cool :) .. His eyes are open, He seems alert and stuff, So i guess its just time to care for him.

the breeder says he breeds terripins/cornsnakes/beardies and others o.o

also he doesnt use any heat lamp acept a office lamp bulb that heats up nicely apperently

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah your right kath kinda feel bad now lol cant win either way.

but yeah the little beardie seems fine, No marks, No bites nothing bad body wise.

He seems very settled at the moment ( guess cos its 2:34) am. hes also currently sleeping standing up on the glass, I will publish pictures soon not sure how to do it on the forum without links?

I am putting a uvb light in there tomorrow, Yeah he is dark but i like dark ones, they look cool :) .. His eyes are open, He seems alert and stuff, So i guess its just time to care for him.

also he doesnt use any heat lamp acept a office lamp bulb that heats up nicely apperently
its always good to help a young animal who didnt be asked to be brought into the world, but it encourages people to breed more and more.

good luck with feeding this lil greedy :censor: i remember when i have 2 baby beardies!! jesus mary and josef lmao!.

and the "office lamp" he uses is probably not a bad option their friggin boiling. the spot light that should be in every beardie's tank for basking spot is just a normal spot bulb you can buy them from tesco's =]

sign up to photobucket if u havnt already and copy n paste the last code when u hover over the picture. itl paste the pic right onto here x

·
Registered
8 Posts
back home (australia ) i dont no a single person who uses uv but i would dare not use it here , they need uv to grow properly and england definetly doesnt have the best record for sun , but a baby would be fine as long as your going to use one than there is no problems sounds like they will be getting a better home with you so why not :no1:

·
Registered
107 Posts
we paid £5 for spartacus and he is nice and heathly.

the only thing i would say is i dont think i would buy another one someone is selling cheap again as we dont know his correct age.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Breeding terrapins these days (unless they are relatively "rare and sought after") is really rather irresponsible. Just take a look on here, Gumtree, Preloved and even (illegally) on eBay for the number that are up for rehoming.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought from him as the picture in my opinion doesn't show 100% healthy youngsters - the fact they have their eyes shut would be a concern.

Be that as it may, enjoy your new baby.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well hes all settled. but ive screwed up yet again :(..

I brought a solar glo 125w and it keeps flickering. agh i jus wana help this lil dude lool

=[

1 - 20 of 21 Posts