Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9732
first id like you to see this thread. you need to see my last post on the thread.

and then, my mum and 2 sisters came round. after being bathed and putting on new clothes(so it cant be from the gecko's)
My mum and sister held my baby iguana for about and hour and half between the, then when they passed me him back he had kinda went to sleep i thought he was just really tired, being a baby and having all that attention at once, but thisd morning i get up and hes still in exactly the same place doing nothing cant seem to pick himself up, he can drag himself a little but thats it, i have been sprayong weater near his mouth and he has been drinking, but nothing else.
i feel he is dying, but i cant say its just a coincidence that the second gecko died and then after being held by them, my ig is now ill, is there some kind of natural ouils or something in some peoples skin that can cause this???

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
what sort of purfume do they were of body lotions?? does sound a bit like it could be them maybe should get them to wash there hands with anti-bac handwash before they touch anything
manda xx

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I Realy cant think of anything that can be causing this but Im hoping your little guy is ok. Iv heard of reps becoming ill from having room air frehserners sprayed near them so maybe like manda says it could be something to do with perfume or fabric conditioner your family use. It does seam odd that it would effect all the reps though :?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok this is very strange. I've never heard of an iggy going downhill that fast. (Sand geckos I have NO knowledge of at all so I'll leave that alone except in reference to this)

Have they handled to iggy before? Is the iggy in contact with ( or has it EVER been in contact with) anything the gecko's might have been in contact with?

What veggies are you offering the iggy...were you offering the geckos the same? Were they washed 100%? Collected wild?

What vitamins were being used? How much and how often?

An hour and a half is a LONG time for a baby iggy to be handled. They will cool down way too quick.

The animals weren't being put on their backs and cuddled that way were they? ( they appear to go to 'sleep' then but in reality its restricting breathing)

Sorry for all the questions... really am trying to help. These are just for starters.... rule out these first then move onto next.

Andy

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well someone has just advised me he may be dehydrated, so am looking that up, but here goes.

they have never handled pete(my iggy) before, he is in the viv i got the geckos in, but it has been disinfected weeks before he was in it.
i have been offering, kale, some lettuces, dandelion leaves etc all cleaned(i wouldnt feed them dirty)
i have been using nutrabol, 4-5 times a week,sprinkled on. and no i wouldnt let my iggy be handled like a baby, but as for the geckos i dont know as they lived at my mums for the last few weeks of their life.
what do oyu think?? do you think it could be dehydration?? do oyu have msn??

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just gone to check on him and he has died, am going now to prepare a coffin etc for him,bye :cry:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
awwwwwwwwww im so sorry am nearly in tears about that hun omg i cant believe it i am so truly sorry
manda xxx

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Sorry to hear about your iggy Rach. I really wish I could think of something better to say right now but im still in shock it happened so quickly. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would it help if you were able to get a vet to do a necropsy on your gecko. That way they may be able to tell you what caused the death.
It's only an idea.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Really really sorry for your loss. Must be devastating for you. I've only ever lost 1 animal in all my time of keeping and that really destroyed me :-(

If you have some time and your feeling up to it can you please contact me at [email protected] as I'd like to discuss possible reasons for this to maybe stop this happening again.

Condolences once again

Andy

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry calcium too, i did give him calcium too, i was just forgetting somethings missing them out
sorry was trying to get everything but so worried i was missing stuff out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
im so sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So so sorry

:cry: Sorry for your loss, Rach. Hope you find out why. Take care of yourself. Wish I could help but I can't understand what happened, either.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
hi rach sorry bout you loss i really am but ive had a thought has your mum got any reptiles like a salamander os anything like that or a new rep that could maybe be carrying an illness but not showing it sometimes some reptiles can be carriers of illnesses and diseases is there anychance something like that could ave happened i know u said thay all got changed and had a bath but if before they changed they touched something and left maybe a trace of whatever it might be then touched it again before holding ur iggy then maybe they could have carried it with them im not sure wether what ive said is not possable but its jus a thought

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
rach1980 said:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9732
first id like you to see this thread. you need to see my last post on the thread.

and then, my mum and 2 sisters came round. after being bathed and putting on new clothes(so it cant be from the gecko's)
My mum and sister held my baby iguana for about and hour and half between the, then when they passed me him back he had kinda went to sleep i thought he was just really tired, being a baby and having all that attention at once, but thisd morning i get up and hes still in exactly the same place doing nothing cant seem to pick himself up, he can drag himself a little but thats it, i have been sprayong weater near his mouth and he has been drinking, but nothing else.
i feel he is dying, but i cant say its just a coincidence that the second gecko died and then after being held by them, my ig is now ill, is there some kind of natural ouils or something in some peoples skin that can cause this???

First of all I am really sorry for your loss I knew how much this iggie meant to you. :cry:
You said they held him for an hour and a half between them that seems like a long time to hold any lizard to me but aspecially a baby iggy who get stressed very easy, I am wondering weather due to you saying they were holding the sand geko when it died aswell that both maybe died of stress, altho that doesn't explain the other gekos death but baby iggys aren't the type of animal you can hold for hours, again I am sorry for your loss and you know I am always on here if you need to talk. xxx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts