Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home form work this evening to discover my 3yearold Hermann upside down in his water bowl with his face compleatly submerged in water. I woke him up imedietly, he was very cold(?), he seemed to have troubble breathing at first, but he is breathing normaly now. Somthing very strange I must mention, he was making a sort of "bird" sound. He was constantly open mouthed "sqwarking" and it looks like he's trying to be sick.

The only vets open in my area at this time does not not do reptiles, and any that do are shut.

I am going to take him stright to the reptile vet in the morning, but is there any advice anyone can give me in the meantime? Right now, he seems to be doing better, but I am worried he may get sick. Please, I don't want the poor creature to suffer. Thank you.

b.b.

·
Registered
968 Posts
my nan had a herman or what ever they are called..
and it made the same kind of noises, :? but the vet diagnosed it with
brain damage and its like a brain relasp, but wasnt sure what cauesed it.. :( sorry to be blunt.. it might not be the case.. :lol: Good luck :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
sorry i forgot to say, its 9yrs now not sure how long they usally live for but thats good in my eyes.. :wink:

·
Registered
520 Posts
im sorry but 9 years old is no where near old for a tortoise,they can live to 100+ years

·
Registered
968 Posts
i guess good luck to my nan then hay?? :lol2:

·
Registered
520 Posts
will outlive your nan :shock:
what did vet do about the brain damage and what are the effects on the tortoise?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wel the tortoise is ok, he stil slowly walks round the garden and eats like its never had food.. :wink: :D , but in his food he has droplets, its like medication but she has to make sure thats it first bit he eats.. :wink:
Even with the brain damage he can still do things but he walks on a slant but apart from that he is well.. if i can i will get some pics for you.. :wink:
i thinks hes done really, seen as he was diagnose with brain when 4yrs
old... :wink:

·
Registered
632 Posts
boost up your temp!! do u no ne1 whos asthmatic? if so if u can get hold of a VENTOLIN inhaler a puff in your torts direction will help open his airways. hopefully he won't have inhaled too much water but def get him to your herp vet ASAP Pneumonia is V. bad!!! :cry: good luck and keep us updated!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts