Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My sister-in-law has found an injured bird in her garden, not sure if its a baby or not as i havnt been to see it yet. However, it cannot fly.

Can we keep it and give it a little chance of survival? As we dont think its injured, she just said its little and cant fly. So immdiatly thought of a baby bird, not being able to fly.

So, could we keep it in our spare bird cage, and feed it? Or not?

Ifso, what do you feed it?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
course you can keep it and try and help it then release it ud have to know if its a baby or not im not sure what u feed baby birds but sum1 shud be here to help just keep it nice and warm

·
Premium Member
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keeping it nice and warm is not a problem. I just need to know what to feed lol. I was thinking crushed seeds mixed with water or summink

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Strictly speaking you should leave it and observe it for a while because it may be a fledgling who hasn't managed to successfully fly, but its parents will be nearby and will continue to care for it and feed it on the ground until it can fly.
It's certainly "that" time of year when baby birds are learning to fly and failing miserably!

That's the "golden rule"

However, sometimes we have to intervene if the baby is in a vulnerable position and could be killed by a passing cat or attacked by crows.

Really you should keep it somewhere warm and dark as it will be scared and stressed and putting it in a bird cage might stress and scare it more. A dark box in a warm place would be better for it I think.

Have you no mealworms for reptile feeding that you can give it? Or you could go out and dig up some small worms from your garden?

Depending on what it is you could mash up some dog food and feed it that, but that depends on what type of bird it is. Many birds like crows, jackdaws etc eat meat, but some of the smaller birds only eat insects and seeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts