Reptile Forums banner

urgent! Help with my corn please

598 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ReptileObsession 
#1 ·
my 2 year old corn got tangled in some string today, and thank god my better half was home. she has some lumps where it got really tight.
is it worth a trip to the vets?
are there signs i should look out for?
should i get anything?

please help
thanks
ella

#2 ·
I'd get her to the vets ASAP - could be something that sorts itself out in a few days, but could also be broken ribs.

In the meantime don't handle her at all unless essential and then be very careful - two handed at all times with no pressure on her body.
Might be an idea to cover her viv to minimise any disturbance as well.

Also, take any climbing branches, etc out of her viv - just leave the water bowl and a couple of large hides - small hides may squash her up a bit, so if you don't have large hides a folded piece of card, a cereal box or even just a sheet of newspaper would do.

Hope all goes ok, keep us updated!

Mark.

#3 ·
i wont be able to take her to the vet til wensday :(

she is very active tho, and when touched gently she pays no attention, so it doesnt seem too tender.
i will take her to the vets just to be on the safe side [heres hoping it doesnt cost too much being the end of the month and all.

might get an insurance policy out tonight on her.

here are some pics so you guys can judge a bit better.
its toward the latter part of her...

thanks for your reply :)
ella

#4 ·
I've only ever seen pics of snakes with broken ribs (never one in the flesh), and that doesn't look as bad as some I've seen - but on the other hand there is clearly a depression in her body so the string must've been pretty tight and has done some damage, but how much is impossible to say.

The fact that she's active is surely a good thing - as long as the activity isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Just get her checked by a vet as soon as you can. If you're short of cash most vets will let you pay in installments if it's a significant amount, as long as you give them some proof of ID/address.

As for insurance - all the policies for reptiles that I've looked into have been pretty expensive. I reckon you'd be better off just putting a few quid aside each month into a savings account for any emergencies.

#5 ·
£7/8 a month for insurance isnt that bad :)

today really hasnt been a good day for our reps, our beardies tank just cracked :S stoooopid heat lamp.

as for activity she has her lazy day [majority of them] and then really active ones. so its not out of the ordinary.

im useless at saving. otherwise id have a stash somewhere lol.

i really appreciate you help mark :) thanks
ill keep you updated.
ella

#8 ·
sorry to jump on your thread, but where did you get your insurance, I was quoted £140 a year by exoticdirect but they wouldnt let me pay monthly, that was for all 3 of my snakes and my bd,covering loss, theft, death and vet bills with an excess of £30 a time.

#9 ·
£114 at exoticdirect for my snake and my bd. works out to just under £10 a month, and it does say in the text below the quote that you can pay monthly whether thats true or not i dont kow.

also depends on how much you value your pet at. i based my snake on 200 and the bd on 100, 300 combined. and thats on highest cover same as nicky's.

and ookie [my snakey] seems to be doing better. the bumps have softened [im guessing its just swelling] and shes active [well as much as usual] and what i touch the area she has no reaction. im gona wait til she poops before i take her to the vets, coz if its just swelling, then theres nothing the vets can do, and if its broken ribs theres nothing they can do again unless its pierced some guts, which is why im waiting for a poop.

ill keep you guys updated.

ella

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.