Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!!

Been a while i know :(

Errrrrrrm, have a little problem - Its feeding time for both RP's and whilst this was oing on, we needed to change the Heat bulb to a higher watt in one of the vivs, in doing so the bulb blew, as a temp measure we put the old one back in - This one has broken!! As its feeding time, they will both need the heat to digest. Would it be ok to put them in a viv together til Friday, until i can buy a new bulb? If not, i dont know what to do - I have 1 viv that is fine and 1 viv with no heat and 2 snakes.

Any advice ASAP will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I could be wrong (being a newb) but would it be the end of the world to not feed one of the snakes until you have replaced the bulb?

From what I can gather, snakes can go some time between feeds...

I would hate to give cr*ppy advice, but it seems the best logic I can muster at 11pm midweek!!

I'm sure its safer to keep your snake a few extra days and feed safely than risk putting your snakes in jeopardy putting them together, or indeed feeding a snake without heat to digest....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fluffy said:
I could be wrong (being a newb) but would it be the end of the world to not feed one of the snakes until you have replaced the bulb?

From what I can gather, snakes can go some time between feeds...

I would hate to give cr*ppy advice, but it seems the best logic I can muster at 11pm midweek!!

I'm sure its safer to keep your snake a few extra days and feed safely than risk putting your snakes in jeopardy putting them together, or indeed feeding a snake without heat to digest....
It happened whilst they were in the process of eating :(

I have just remembered, have a faunairium (sp) so probably be best to set that up with Heat mat and then get bulb ??

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Agreed, i also would think missin a feed would be ok.
Can you keep the temps at a safe level over night and during tomorow? if so i would think itd be the best thing.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhh, didnt realise that! Your post was a little misleading.

the faunarium sounds like a good option... either that or can you put one in a box inside the working viv?

Probably really pants options but in desperate times come daft answers sometimes!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
S'ok :) - I kinda wrote post in a mild panic, so prolly didnt make much sense. got faunairium warming up now, so hopefully this should suffice til Friday - I got no money til then - payday, bulbs costs like £10 a time : :twisted:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
sorry you posted whilst i was sloooooooooowly typing my reply.
Im sure itll be fine till friday with a heatmat.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Also you dont need a £10 reptile bulb, normal household spot bulbs are just as good and you can get red ones (if you were using red bulbs...) - so save yourself some money!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yeah i was thinking that.. i use household light bulbs from tesco or sainsburys personally

sod spending a tenner on one, just becasue the box has a pretty piccy of a snake on the front..

oh, and yes, they are quite fine to use.. my male yemen, several years old, has been kept with them since he was _________________ big, as have my agamas, beardies, and everything else that uses them

i do not use any light emiting heat sources with my snakes though.. but if uou have to use a light blub to heat them, then a household one does exactly the same.

N

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found R80 Spot bulbs exactly the same as the ones they were selling in the reptile store, for £1 each in the local Cut Price.

Have a look around the local cheapy shops in your area to see if they have any of the type you need.....

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I havent had as much luck finding infa red bulbs but white light bulbs are exaxctly the same as the ones branded for reps yeh, and like £1 each instead of £7+
Also the rep brand ones tend to be the smaller ones [r25?] whereas r80's, altho they dont fit in the cages you can easily [but expensively] buy they obviously give of equal heat but in approx 50% wider area..in my experience atleast.

Definetly good to save where you can...am slowly learnin that myself.

Dean

·
Registered
990 Posts
Feeders Digest

Snakes are okay housed together so long as you don't try feeding them both in close proximity. If that happens there's a chance you'd end up with one really big snake. :shock:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
snakes are actually better housed seperately, for many reasons..

snakes are not pack animals, and are solitary for the majority of the time under natural conditions.

a snake does not need a friend.. a friend is someone you call for a gossip, or go to the pub with.. snakes don't work like that! two snakes sharing the same hide, are not being loveydovey with their best mate, they are just both in the area where the conditions are the most favourable at the time.

anyway... light bulbs.. red ones... they don't qctually need to be infra-red.. they just need to be red in colour, snakes - and many other animals - cannot see in red light.. hence people using them at night...

N

1 - 15 of 15 Posts