Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got home tonight and fed the bosc and noticed that one off the bosc is tilting its head and and not able to catch food properly. he was fine yesterday. could this be a neurological problem? heating is fine food is always gut loaded and dusted with nutrobal. only thing is they dont have uv as was told they be ok without it.

would like opions on what people think is wrong and how it could of happened. and how to make it better

thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there in a 3 ft setup red bulb stated hes only about 5 month old! not much to take pics of really its like he cant get his balance and his head moves funny like hes drunk and cant focus on food even when hold it for him!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
there in a 3 ft setup red bulb stated hes only about 5 month old! not much to take pics of really its like he cant get his balance and his head moves funny like hes drunk and cant focus on food even when hold it for him!
Red bulb. What's that? What temperature is the basking spot? What is the cool end? What choices does he have between these? You saying he has a red bulb suggests to me that you have no idea how to support a monitor lizard. No monitor keeper would use a red bulb. Not much to take pictures of? I think whosthedaddy was referring to pictures of your entire set up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
346 Posts
first off all you need to get shut of the red builb as they wont be able to
extinguish from day and night need to get a daylight basking light in there and temps at basking area should be in the 40s and cool end 30 to 35c and reason why to get rid of red builb is coz they cnt see if it day or night

for the UV they dont need it but it wouldnt do them any harm for a 10% UV in there

and with this problem need a pics or videos to show or anoti suggest you do it take it too a local reptile vet and get them tto check it over like

regards john

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first off all you need to get shut of the red builb as they wont be able to
extinguish from day and night need to get a daylight basking light in there and temps at basking area should be in the 40s and cool end 30 to 35c and reason why to get rid of red builb is coz they cnt see if it day or night

for the UV they dont need it but it wouldnt do them any harm for a 10% UV in there

and with this problem need a pics or videos to show or anoti suggest you do it take it too a local reptile vet and get them tto check it over like

regards john

thankyou for the real help instead of patronising help like the other person has done. people like that should feel ashamed as peoples animals are suffering as they are scared to ask for help. no1 is perfect and people like to learn from there mistakes properly from more experianced keepers not to be spoke to like a piece of s**t.

anyway thankyou for the help and have bought new buld and 10% uv today will try take videos tonight!

thanks nicola

·
Registered
346 Posts
thankyou for the real help instead of patronising help like the other person has done. people like that should feel ashamed as peoples animals are suffering as they are scared to ask for help. no1 is perfect and people like to learn from there mistakes properly from more experianced keepers not to be spoke to like a piece of s**t.

anyway thankyou for the help and have bought new buld and 10% uv today will try take videos tonight!

thanks nicola
sadly some people do just jump down ya throat like but there are alot of lovely and helpfully people on this site and its alot better than most other forums like

thats good like that may help him and the UV will help too and hopfully he will improve but if not i would defo take him to vets and get checked properly out but if it was me i would take him to vets now just to get professnal advise

john

·
Registered
346 Posts
and another thing is make sure u turn the daylight off at night time you can always use the red light as night time heat but tbh ur house shudnt rly get belowe 20c so it will be fine

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

thanks nicola
Why should I feel ashamed of myself? Animals suffer because people buy them without researching and providing them without proper conditions. I fail to see how I spoke to you like s**t, I was merely pointing out that your post suggested that you didn't know how to correctly keep the animal. I would like to help but so far the details you have given are sketchy about it's conditions. You need to get your husbandry right first and IMO a u.v bulb is way, way down on the list.

·
Registered
40 Posts

thanks nicola
I think you misinterpreted *Being patronised* with fact.

Your better off accepting your wrong and fixing the problem, than to sit her arguing about it. Get it checked over, and read some more care sheets for the lizards sake, he is the one suffering not you.

Reactions: vandal and Barlow

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
think you should look at the way you talk to people if you think that way is ok. just because you have a key board it does not make you hard! we have gone on the advise of our local shop with the choice of setup! they are my partners animals and have printed him some care sheets off to read.

simple fact you did jump down my throat you are out of order and i no you wouldnt talk to me like that face to face. pointing in the right direction would of been nicer not trying to put me down!

thanks

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
think you should look at the way you talk to people if you think that way is ok. just because you have a key board it does not make you hard! we have gone on the advise of our local shop with the choice of setup! they are my partners animals and have printed him some care sheets off to read.

simple fact you did jump down my throat you are out of order and i no you wouldnt talk to me like that face to face. pointing in the right direction would of been nicer not trying to put me down!

thanks
Seeing as we come from the same city I'd be interested to know which reptile shop that is. My guess is Sheffield Exotics. I could be wrong.

How did I put you down. I only said it seems like you have no idea on how to keep a varanid. Yes I would have talked to you face to face in the same way as people who get the pet first and ask questions later sincerely wind me up. Good luck with the care sheets. Most of them are crap. I can point you in the right direction, I just need some setup details from you like I posted before. I'm not here to argue. I want to help your monitor.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
not trying to couse an argument here barlow but you was very harsh with the op at the end of the day the op came on a site desighned to help people and not to get there head bite off the op was following misleeding information so not there fouly at least the op came and asked for help when alot of people wouldnt

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
Its all academic at the end of the day as we still have no further info on the husbandry and pics of said behaviour to help the OP along with the Bosc.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The shop was not that one not naming the shop! I would not set foot in Sheffield exotics! I am pretty sure that the setup has not caused the problems it looks like what ever is up with him is not going to be able to be fixed got an appointment at vets for tomoz not able to get pics up as have no energy to do so as just had an opp! As I said he looks like he is drunk has loss of balance and cannot grab food even when infront of his face it looks very neurological how it has happened I don't no my partner looks after them so well! We think he could of fallen and landed badly as the log in there isn't that high or I have read it could be a parasite that is found on crickets! The is not much on the net about neurological problems in Bosc! And as for the reading up we did do so but never read anything about colour of bulbs!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
The shop was not that one not naming the shop! I would not set foot in Sheffield exotics! I am pretty sure that the setup has not caused the problems it looks like what ever is up with him is not going to be able to be fixed got an appointment at vets for tomoz not able to get pics up as have no energy to do so as just had an opp! As I said he looks like he is drunk has loss of balance and cannot grab food even when infront of his face it looks very neurological how it has happened I don't no my partner looks after them so well! We think he could of fallen and landed badly as the log in there isn't that high or I have read it could be a parasite that is found on crickets! The is not much on the net about neurological problems in Bosc! And as for the reading up we did do so but never read anything about colour of bulbs!
It's not the colour of bulbs that's the problem. It's how one uses said bulbs. And I assumed that you using a red bulb means that it's there on a thermostat going on/off to keep temps warm in the viv.

·
Registered
346 Posts
the builb wouldnt couse the problem it just makes the monitor feel like its in dark all time as cnt see red light i beleve and its why you use a clear light and switch off at night

he might off fell and injured him self let us know how you got on in vets like

·
Registered
11 Posts
my money is on it having a problem with one of it's ears.....

I'm sure the ears of reptiles play a key part in balance just like they do in humans, I remember having a problem with my ear when was younger, I couldn't walk straight and my head leant to one side.

Put it in the bath (warmish water) for a 30 minutes or so, encourage his head under water a little (don't worry it won't drown, it'll hold it's breath longer than a human), this may help remove any dirt or loose skin from within the ears.

Only an idea!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts