Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya!
Can someone just tell me what are the smaller species of Uro. I know uromastyx ornatus is, i'd just like to know if there are any more.
I would like to have a Uro but can only build a 3x2ft viv. (for a single animal).

I have often thought about keeping this species and have done some research and am quite confident with keeping one, but i would like one of the smaller species.
However knowing my luck i dont think i'll be able to find the species i want as they'll be rare or too far away.
My local rep shop has two babies left for sale, but i dont think they put up what species they were.
Ive looked online but it's all mixed from differrent sites, i'd just like to know from people who are experienced with them what species get to what size and what would be the one for me.
(if i DO decide to get one that is, i have no money at the moment,lol)

I dont need any care guides, just a species and size list, as i said, i have room to build a 3x2 viv but no bigger im afraid. I know thats far too small for most species but ok for others.
so..? :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to live in Devon myself(recently moved out here to Argentina), Seaton if you know it :wink:

I kept a pair of Urmastyx Ornata from babies for almost three years, fantastic little characters, really loved them & selling them on was the hardest part of my move(too humid here for Uros :cry: ).

I would seriously recommend a trip up to Oxford to visit Terry Thatcher, that was where I bought mine & I can tell you it was well worth the journey. His back shed is like a Uro paradise, almost every breed you can think of.

Here's a link to his site http://www.crislis.co.uk/thatcher/reptiles/prices-herps.php should find his contact number there aswell so you can check stock.

The ocellatus ocellatus is about the smallest of Uromastyx, he does sell them but wasn't having alot of luck with the eggs hatching when I went there for my Ornatas. They also do alot of climbing so are great fun to watch.

Hope that helps, can't recommend these lizards highly enough, full of charcter & damn funny. Just wish I could keep them out here, would've payed the earth to have had mine shipped out.

Any other questions fire away & I'll do my best to answer :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw, thanks so much hun.
I did finally find a site with some info on.
Im going to my local wihch has two babies, but ive yet to phone them to find out the species. Im also visiting another centre to see what they have.
I cant get up to Oxford. Not enough money to spare for traveling, i dont drive, and i have another problem with travelling too. ;) lol but i wont start that topic.
think im after Ornatus for sure.
thanks again! fab info. :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, aw so cute.

I dont know why but when i describe these animals to people i always say their like tortoise without beaks. o.0 lmao
their head remind me of tortoises, being veggie is a bonus!
Ive done alot of research and thanks to that link you gave me ive had some things confirmed with species!
It'll make buying one a whole lot easier. If i do get one look out for pics on here!
Im going to my local reptile place on the 1st of Nov. If they still have the uro's and they are a species i can have i will be buying one. I will of course have the viv up and ready and will phone before hand to confirm the species so i can set it up correctly.
Im also going somewhere else to look at rep's but they are a tad expensive. :roll:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just found out the species my local has is uromastyx ocellata i assume thats ocellatus??

Unfortunatly they have sold one and have one left and i cannot reserve him for over a week and i can only pay in cash and a deposit is required.

He is 99quid. what do you think about that price, it's the same as the link you sent me. :)

Well we'll soon see in two weeks if i get him or not, i'll do his viv just incase. He's only a tiny baby!!! So a 2x1ft would do for now until i can build him a 3x2ft. :) (ive jinxed this and he wont be there!!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jinx said:
Just found out the species my local has is uromastyx ocellata i assume thats ocellatus??

Unfortunatly they have sold one and have one left and i cannot reserve him for over a week and i can only pay in cash and a deposit is required.

He is 99quid. what do you think about that price, it's the same as the link you sent me. :)

Well we'll soon see in two weeks if i get him or not, i'll do his viv just incase. He's only a tiny baby!!! So a 2x1ft would do for now until i can build him a 3x2ft. :) (ive jinxed this and he wont be there!!)
Sounds like a fair price to me, don't think you'll find cheaper than that for that species provided it's captive bred(which I'm assuming that one must be by the size). Amazingly Uros aren't generally too popular in pet shops so I'm sure you'll be fine(crosses fingers).

As for the uromastyx ocellata, considering you have both the Uromastyx ocellatus ocellatus & the Uromastyx ocellatus ornatus, it's hard to know which it will be, I'm guessing the shop probably doesn't know either(they're of the same family obviously). Whichever the case they both have very similar charcteristics(they like to climb alot more than burrow as with the Acanthanarus etc., mine didn't bother burrowing in their under viv sand box atall really, despite the fact I always kept it nice & damnp). Also the Ornatus are one of the smaller breeds aswell so your future 3ftx2ft will be fine, try to have a reasonable amount of height for some branches as belive me, they'll use them alot :D

I'm going to try to attatch a photo of my little cuties as babies, they were so tiny but it's amazing how fast they grow, hehe, I prefer to buy them as babies & have the joy of watching them change. The photo is really poor quality as I only had a really basic digital camera at the time. Hehe, will also put another photo under it showing them as adults on the same area of basking rock.

By the way, you might notice I glued reptile sand to the walls in the second pic, this is a good idea for Ornatus as they can litterally run up the walls, haha, they used to run the walls & leap straight off them to the branches, who said Uros are terrible jumpers :lol:

You can clearly see the difference between male & female in the second pic, was more luck than anything but Terry did try to pick a pair for me(difficult when they're just a couple months old).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bit off topic but just thought I'd share a photo of one of our new Fire Skinks we picked up two days ago, beautifull lizards :D Do miss the Uros though.

This ones the male that we've named Rio, no sign of them this morning, they do like to hide unlike the Uros :lol:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wooh nice skink!
I had one from my local (a mabuya st), he was called Skat.
He only had 3 legs and was most definatly WC, but i tamed him up and he used to take waxworms from my hand. he was also free to roam the room when i was gone as he could climb out the back of the viv.
He'd do it when i was there too, he'd catch stray crix in the room.
I'd turn around and he'd be on the carpet lookin at me then he'd rush back behind the viv, climb the back (good climber for something with 3 legs) and he'd go and sit under his basking spot like he had'nt done any thing.lol
He'd always poo in his viv though. lol
here he is...RIP, died a few months back (maybe old age), i was real upset. :(

As for the Uro, yeh i doubt they'll know what species of Orcellata it is either. I cant reserve him at all now, all i can do is phone up the day before and ask if he's still there. I definatly want him, so i'll be phoning on halloween! :)
Yeh, they were tiny when i saw them must have been 5-6 inches long. SO BLIMIN CUTE!!!
Obviously cute is not the reason i want one though. lol but it adds to the cause. ;)
I will be making him a 3x2x2. It's funny i did'nt actually know some Uro's were semi Arboreal until recently. I really cant imagine one running! let alone running up walls! LMAO

I will need your fingers crossed as you said, and my fingers and toes! Let's hope no one steals him before i get there!
Thanks so much for your help hun, and your great pictures and info. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ahh, that Skat sounded like a real little character, great story & quite a beautiful skink aswell, despite missing a leg :eek:

For sure if we'd walked into the shop & seen one with a leg missing like Skat, we'd have had to take him home, I'm bad enough but my gf has such a softspot for reptiles that look in need of care :lol:

Hope you manage to get your Uro, be sure to keep us updated once you get him home(as I'm sure you will). Haha, almost gets me a bit excited just thinking of getting one of those lovely lizards so really egging for you :wink:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol, i was waiting for a reply before telling you..unfortunatly i phoned to reserve him today and he was gone!
I put extra money in my account just for him!! :x
lmao

They said their bound to get more in, maybe in a week or two, but they may not be the same species. :(
So im going on the 1st of November as planned and will put up a topic if i manage to find one. If not ..uh i wont put up a topic. lol
Guess i'll just have to wait until they get one in. :roll:
They have some at another place but unfortunatly they are aegypticus.

I'll keep you posted though. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jinx said:
lol, i was waiting for a reply before telling you..unfortunatly i phoned to reserve him today and he was gone!
I put extra money in my account just for him!! :x
lmao

They said their bound to get more in, maybe in a week or two, but they may not be the same species. :(
So im going on the 1st of November as planned and will put up a topic if i manage to find one. If not ..uh i wont put up a topic. lol
Guess i'll just have to wait until they get one in. :roll:
They have some at another place but unfortunatly they are aegypticus.

I'll keep you posted though. :)
Damn, that must be pretty gutting, sorry to hear that :(

Aegypticus, lol, talk about one extreme to the other, those are huge, the largest of the Uros if memory serves. Haha, good to hear you aren't planning to buy one of those big mamas :wink:

Ah well, at least you have time to set yourself up relaxed which is always a good thing, next time you'll be prepared to snap one up when it comes along. Did take me quite a while to get my viv spot on for all the temps etc.

Anyway, good luck with the search, for sure you'll find one. Think of it this way, maybe that one was a female & next time you'll be lucky and get a beautiful male, they get some fantastic blue colours as you can see in the male in my photo.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol, i'd actually prefer a female. I must be the only person in the world who prefers natural colours. lmao
The same with rabbits (random), i prefer their wild colours to white or black ones.
Im not into bright red and yellow beardies either, thats why my beardy is good old fashion brown! lmao (i do like the little red bits that have come out on his babies though).

In the end i dont mind what sex it is, im going to give one a great home!
and yeh, i know how big those aegypticus ones get!! thats why im not interested.
I phoned up and asked about the reptiles in this other place, and they transfered me to the department, then i had to be transfered to someone who knew what they were talking about.lol
I asked if they had any Uro's and before i could ask what species they were he had already said we have some Uromastyx aegypticus.
So i was like, DOH! oh ok not what i was looking for thanks bye! ( iwas more polite but you get my meaning).
lmao

·
Registered
39 Posts
Funny how we're all different, mind you even the females are very pretty aswell to be honest. I don't know if it's typical but my female was alot more relaxed & chilled than the male, they were both extremely tame but he just couldn't keep still where as she just loved to chill on a branch & watch him doing his spidey gymnastics :lol:

My gf prefered the female, although I think she always felt the male would suddenly jump out of her hands if she was ahndling him so was probably a trust thing, haha!

Ah well, again good luck, will keep an eye out for your thread saying something like "My new Uromastyx pics" :wink:

Lee.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, do I see correct from your sig that you now have not one but three Uros? :eek:

Haha, if so post us some pics, would love to see them!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are pics. Try looking in the lizard pictures section. ;)
lmao
i forgot about this post in here, as i was only posting pics i thought it better to post them in the gallery. :)
The male Acanth is for sale though, wish i had room for him!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ah, lovely lizards, I love the rusty colours of your male acanthinarus, only wish I could buy him from you :D

Hope they give you as much pleasure as my Uros gave to me. I'd love to have Uros again, by far my favourite lizards.

We're having a house built in just over a years time, I'm thinking of looking into the possiblity of fitting a dehumifier into a room where we can keep some Uros, no idea what that could cost though. The humidity here is such a pain in the backside.

Thanks for the photos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts