Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ive been looking at getting a reptile for a few months now, i have been looking at both snakes and reptiles, but would prefer a lizard. Im looking at keeping it in my room so i dont really want to be keeping/feeding it crickets and roaches, due to my girlfried taking a dislike, im fine with worms etc though. I have been told uros are herbivores (mostly) i was just wondering, how much they are generally and if their any breeders in lancashire. Also other suggested lizard species are welcome. (have kept boa constrictor, water dragon and sand boa in the past)

thanks kyle

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that :2thumb:. is there any other speceis of lizard which dont require crickets as a staple or even at all. i have been told blue tongue skinks can be fed on worms as the insect part of thier diet. Also any uromastyx breeders in the north west???

·
Registered
846 Posts
the saharen uro can be a lot of money i see them at my local reptile store for over 200 pounds i am gettin the saharen to add too my collection but the price all depends on the species

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the saharen uro can be a lot of money i see them at my local reptile store for over 200 pounds i am gettin the saharen to add too my collection but the price all depends on the species
thanks, well i like the banded, ornate and mali. i do like the saharen but looks like their a little outta my price range at the moment lol. ive been reading and they said keeping more than one in a viv is not advised, is this correct??

·
Massive Member
11,823 Posts
thanks, well i like the banded, ornate and mali. i do like the saharen but looks like their a little outta my price range at the moment lol. ive been reading and they said keeping more than one in a viv is not advised, is this correct??
Good luck finding ornates. We couldn't.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
uros are territorial and i cannot seem to find the ornate as well they look nice but i bet they cost loads
thanks, are th banded easy to get hold of. yeh thats what i read, in that case what size viv is appropriate for one uro (not an egyptian)??

·
Registered
328 Posts
We have a uromastyx (not sure what type, not mali though) at the rescue centre and it eats an all veggie diet (kiwi and rocket are his faves) as animal proteins make them swell and will eventually kill them. Pet shops generally feed them insects just to make them look fat and "healthy". I can get a breed type when I'm next in there if you like :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
well for a mali uro im thinkng 4 feet long by 2 feet deep they do not use much hight but you may want to stack rocks and have no leaf branches for that desert effect so im gonna say 2 feet high

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have a uromastyx (not sure what type, not mali though) at the rescue centre and it eats an all veggie diet (kiwi and rocket are his faves) as animal proteins make them swell and will eventually kill them. Pet shops generally feed them insects just to make them look fat and "healthy". I can get a breed type when I'm next in there if you like :)
that would be great thans, where abouts are you ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well for a mali uro im thinkng 4 feet long by 2 feet deep they do not use much hight but you may want to stack rocks and have no leaf branches for that desert effect so im gonna say 2 feet high
thanks very much for that, so what is the best equipment to use for heating and lighting?

·
Registered
501 Posts
not sure never kept an uro but i see them at my local stockport pet warehouse: victory:not sure what species they are though

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not sure never kept an uro but i see them at my local stockport pet warehouse: victory:not sure what species they are though
oooh thats not too far away, thanks for the heads up :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
for a mali uro Basking temps should reach well over 100 degrees F. I suggest around 120 degrees. The cooler zone should be around 85 degrees

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi there yeah you need 85f cool end 95f hot end 125f under bask and a night time drop to 70f..... may i say these are not the easily looked after well i have seen many bad conditioned uros look to pay at least 150 pound, and make sure its captive bred as they can be buggers to please if pulled out of the wild good luck

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so for heating do i need basking bulb and a heat mat and for lighting a uva/uvb bulb??? how would i create the temperature difference (cool zone) and would i use a thermostat to change temperature for day and night??? thnks kyle
:mf_dribble:

·
Registered
40 Posts
yes correct: victory: you need a day night thermostat / desert glo tube with starter / and at least a 100 watt reflector lamp to reach 125 bask spot as for heat mat thats a no need ,,, and a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft viv for oranates ,as for bigger uros you will need at least a 6ft viv ... the liighting you need should set you back 100 pounds viv aboat 100 and uro captive 100 to 150 so your looking at 350 at least hope this helps

1 - 20 of 36 Posts