Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well u can probably guess that i am thinking about getting a uro i have read a few caresheets on them but i am after soom first hand info and advice like what are they like to keep healthy what diat worked for you and your uro all that sort of stuff
regards
nick: victory:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have an occelated Uro and he`s such a funny little thing he wont let me near him but comes right up to the glass quiet cheeky , they are easy to look after so I would recommend getting one but try and get a young one , mine was 7mths when i got him and wish I had him sooner, so he would have been easy to handle.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an occelated Uro and he`s such a funny little thing he wont let me near him but comes right up to the glass quiet cheeky , they are easy to look after so I would recommend getting one but try and get a young one , mine was 7mths when i got him and wish I had him sooner, so he would have been easy to handle.
:lol2: the one i am after is very friendly the shop i use always has one of the lizards out every time i go in so thats no problem there so what do you feed yours?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just bought one :) An occellated uromastyx, Sudanese I believe. I put a deposit on him before xmas. I bought the set up on Tuesday and picked him up yesterday.

He's a little nutter and I've called him Naruto after the Japanese anime character who just wants to be the world's greatest ninja.

He's sub adult, I'm not sure exactly how old. He is handleable though. Lovely, bright blue and orange colour.

I've been trying various vegetables and fruit. The only thing so far that warranted a nibble was a piece of apple, but I've only had him since last night. The guy in the shop says his one loves green beans so I'll get some of those today.

He loves to climb and dig and is generally very lively throughout the day. By about 8pm last night he dug himself a little burrow under a log and went to sleep.

I don't know much about them first hand yet. I use a ceramic heater to heat the viv. One thing I would say is to get a cage thing around the heat source. I've got a kind of guard that looks like a cage that totally encloses the ceramic heater. This little guy loves the heat and his agility should not be underestimated. Theoretically there should have been no way he could have gotten close enough to it to touch it, but I'd put nothing past him.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We have 2 Saharan (geyri) Uros. We got a sub-adult male first of all, who is lovely, but like most Saharans, he's a bit skittish, but fine once you have hold of him.

A couple of months ago we got a female Saharan, and since then he's become a lot more active and friendly, probably because she's a lot more relaxed than him.

They're very easy to look after, you just need to make sure that the viv is hot enough and not at all humid. You dont need to put a water source in the viv, but make sure the greens you give them are fresh and relatively moist.

The different species of Uro also vary in size a lot, which I'm sure you're aware of, so you need to make sure you'll always have enough room (as I'm sure you do with everything, anyway!). Ideally we'd have an Egyptian, but didnt think in the long run we'd have enough room (we already have a bosc) and as Saharans are the smallest, they were the best option for us.

They're very sweet, inquisitive, and we were told that we should only keep them alone, but found that Zaya, our male, is now much happier with a ladyfriend =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.